Caramel & Chocolate Chip Brownies With Pretzel Crust

So after the crazy delicious brownie recipe round up, I pretty much had no choice but to make brownies.   After seeing all the amazing recipes, I knew I wanted to include caramel and pretzels, as well as keep it simple.   Mission SO accomplished…   Caramel And Chocolate Chip Brownies With A Pretzel Crust.  Yum, yum and YUM.

In keeping it easy, I used a box brownie mix, which I will admit I actually prefer to brownies from scratch.  I blame it on growing up on box brownies, so when I think of brownies, that’s the taste I want.  Here’s what you’ll need…

Your favorite brownie mix and ingredients
Your favorite mix ins – I went with Kraft Caramel Bits and Nestle Chocolate Chips, but be creative, nuts, dried fruits, peanut butter, candy bars – whatever you want – go for it!
3 cups of crushed pretzels
1 cup melted butter
5 tbsp sugar

To make the crust, I gave my pretzels a quick spin in the food processor.  I didn’t want to completely turn them into crumbs, as I am a fan of crunchy texture in brownies.   While I was crunching up the pretzels, I melted my butter in the microwave.

Combine your melted butter, crushed pretzels and sugar…

Mix well.   Taste test, because a good baker should always taste test.  Work with me here.

Press the pretzel mixture into a baking pan that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.   Next prepare your brownie batter (with your favorite mix ins, such as chocolate chips and caramel bits)  as instructed on the box or from your favorite brownie recipe.

Spread your brownie batter onto the pretzel crust.

Bake according to the package directions on your brownies.    When done you can dig in with a fork, cut them up, or my favorite – cut with cookie cutters (I use simple round ones).   Check out the crust on the bottom of these babies!

Holy heck – um, yes please!    Ready to serve!  These would be spectacular with a scoop of ice cream and some caramel and/or chocolate sauce on top.  I just may have to do that tonight actually.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. ~kim says

:::sigh::: they look like heaven… will have to wait until Friday, after my weigh-in at W.W.!! what the heck… points be damned! I am soooo making these lovelies~ LOL

::shuts mouth:: Give me a sec while I wipe the drool off my chin.

There are not words for how spectacular these look. I like making fun desserts for my family’s Pizza & a Movie Night Fridays–think your recipe will be this week’s dessert. Thanks soooooooooo much for sharing! I’ll let ya know how mine turn out! :)

3. Runnergirl says

These look awesome!! At first glance the caramel bits looked like garbonzo beans!! I found your site on Foodgawker!

4. Tovie says

I made these and they were amazing! Took them to a potluck and everyone loved them. One question, I keep looking at your pictures and trying to decide but I’m not sure, is that a square pan or a 9×13? I’ve never used a brownie mix, so I’m not sure how much they make. I used a 9×13 pan but thought the pretzel crust was a bit sparse.

5. Maureen Bossio says

Loved your pictures and step by step instructions. I think these look so yummy and my 15 yr. old said yummmy! I’ll make them in a few minutes and let you know! Thanks

6. Michelle says

This recipe sounds really good going to try it. well written instructions love the part about taste testing. my son was making a pie crust which looked a lot like the crust you made but he did not taste test when pie was brought to thanksgiving dinner was a big surprise when the brown sugar was a rub for meat. he hasn’t baked since maybe I will have him make your brownie recipe. I’m sure he will think back on that pie and maybe he will start baking again. Thanks Michelle

I just put these bad boys in the oven! Although I have to say that after the crust taste test I could hardly finish making them :D… I added chocolate chips and drizzed caramel topping on top! I’m so excited thanks for sharing!