Following Your Favorite Blogs

Do you feel like you aren’t seeing your favorite blogs and bloggers on Facebook anymore?  Wondering where they’ve been and why they haven’t been posting?   Well unfortunately they have been posting, but you are right, you are not seeing them.   Facebook has been changing the way readers are shown pages that they “like”, and to put it bluntly, they probably aren’t showing you much of the content that you have chosen to see from your favorite blogs and pages.

How To Follow Your Favorite Blogs

Recent articles have confirmed that Facebook is moving to a model of “pay to play” where they want pages to pay if they are to be shown to their followers.   Word is soon that about 1-2% of a page’s readers will actually be shown their posts.    So it’s highly likely that you will soon see even less of your favorite blogs posting on Facebook, until you aren’t seeing any at all.    Here’s a recent example from my page.  I’m currently giving away a $500 Amazon Gift Card (go enter, that’s one great giveaway!).   Facebook showed my post to 862 people, out of the 160,000+ people who “like” my Facebook page.  That’s less than 1% of my followers.

Favorite Pages Now Showing On Facebook

Unfortunately Facebook’s changes are kind of a 1-2 punch for readers.  Not only are you seeing less of what you want to see, you are probably noticing more and more sponsored content and paid posts in your feed.  Ads are no longer kept to the sidebar of your page, ads are sandwiched between the status updates from your best friend and brother.   I don’t know about you, but I personally don’t want to see poorly targeted paid for posts when I’m trying to keep up with my friends and family.   Heck, Facebook is now letting personal users, like you, pay to promote your post.    So that post above I talked about, if I “boost” my post, Facebook will happily show that post to you, and possibly over 2.5 MILLION other people who do not follow me, for the bargain price of $1500.

Facebook Pay To Play

Um, no Facebook, mama don’t play that game.   It’s pretty clear bloggers aren’t going to be paying those prices, but big brands probably will.  Which means that you will most likely see less of what you requested, by liking pages, and more of stuff you have no desire to see.

How To Follow Your Favorite Blogs

So, what do you do about this?   The best advice I can give is to make sure you are following your favorite blogs in ways other than Facebook.   Most blogs have social media buttons on the top or side of their blog.   Look for those and you can start following blogs in other ways.

Find and follow your favorite blogs

Google+ -Many other bloggers that I know are increasing the time they spend on Google+.   I don’t love Google+, but I am making sure to share my new posts there.  Follow Love From The Oven on Google+.

Pinterest – Most bloggers pin their new posts on Pinterest.  If you don’t want to follow all of their boards, look for one with their blog name.  Most bloggers have a board that is dedicated just to their posts, so if that’s all you are interested, that’s all you need to follow.   Follow Love From The Oven on Pinterest.

Instagram - Some bloggers are now sharing their blog posts on Instagram.  While I share a lot on Instagram, I’m not very consistent on sharing posts there, but some bloggers do.   Follow Love From The Oven on Instagram.

Twitter - Twitter is still around, and some bloggers are very active there.  I’m so-so, but I’ve never been much of a Twitter user.  Follow Love From The Oven on Twitter.

RSS Feeds – most blogs have an RSS feed that you can subscribe to which will result in all new posts being sent to your email box.  This is not the same as a newsletter, it’s just an automatic sending of the post itself.  Follow the Love From The Oven RSS Feed.

Blog Reader Sites like Bloglovin or Feedly (and many others).  I like to use Bloglovin to follow blogs, and I can scroll through my Bloglovin feed and read all my favorite blogs at once.   If you can’t find your favorite blog on services like these, you can usually add them yourself.   Follow Love From The Oven on Bloglovin or Follow Love From The Oven on Feedly.

Following Your Favorite Blogs Off Of Facebook

By no means am I giving up on Facebook.  I still love it and I love interacting with users on it.   But there are a few ways that you can try to improve your chances of seeing your favorite blog on Facebook.    Here’s a quick video to show you how to chance your settings to increase the likelihood that you will see updates from your favorite pages.    If you go to your favorite pages (not from your general feed) you can hover over the “Like” button to bring up settings and change the settings for your favorite page.    Also, Facebook will show you more posts from pages that you interact with, so “LIKE” posts, comment on posts, share posts and click on posts (that’s a biggie).  The more you interact with the page, the more Facebook actually believes you want to see that page.   EDITED TO ADD: Unfortunately it appears that this option of selecting how often you want to see posts is already gone for many Facebook users.  While I can still use it in my Facebook account, the option is no longer there in my husband’s account, so you may or may not be able to change this setting.

I want to take a moment to THANK YOU so much for following Love From The Oven and other bloggers.   We work hard to create recipes, projects and content that we hope you will love and find useful.  Please know that we very much appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to follow our blogs and social media.   We truly love sharing our passion for baking, DIY, decorating, parenting – you name it – with YOU!

Ways To Follow Your Favorite Blogs

Comments

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS, CHRISTI! Yes, I write that in all caps. Less than .05% of my Facebook followers saw something I posted over the weekend. Less than half of a percent. I am not kidding when I say I was in tears. We have worked so hard to increase our following and now no one is seeing any of our content. Why would FB users like our page if they didn’t want to see updates!?!??! I am so confused.

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing this post. I will be sharing it with my readers!

Sally, I totally do not get it. My husband and I were discussing this today and both of us came to the conclusion that the folks sitting in board rooms making these changes at FB are very out of touch with the end user and the experience they are looking for on Facebook. Let’s see, let’s show them less of what they want to see, and a lot more paid content and ads that they don’t want to see, and let’s decide for them that a new story is more newsworthy to them than photos of their three day old niece. Also the big push for more “news”. I may be alone here (though I doubt I am) in saying that I see Facebook as a way to relax, socialize and probably have some fun and laughs. I’m not looking for CNN, and while some may be, they are probably following, and not being shown, CNN. I’m trying to understand how they feel that is going to resonate with the end user, because no matter how I slice or dice it, it sounds like a beginning to an end to me. I guess it looks good on a spreadsheet, I don’t know. I guess we just have to try our best to find other ways to connect with our readers and try and let them know it, so they don’t think we just fell off the edge of the web.

• mary says

Well said. I totally agree with you. If Facebook keeps this up, they’ll go the same route as….hmmm….what was their name again????

Thanks for posting this…I will have to share! I am getting so sick of Facebook & starting to engage more on other things like Google+, Instagram, etc… I didn’t want to join anything else for a long time (takes so much time), but it seems pointless to spend time sharing on Facebook since the do not show your posts to people who have liked your page…frustrating! Hopefully this will at least guide everyone on what to do..thanks!

Jill, it is so frustrating. I was right there with you, Facebook was really my main (okay, almost only) focus. But clearly we are going to have to make some changes. It’s unfortunate for everyone, both the bloggers and the users. :(

WOW – I knew that they picked and chose stuff as they felt like it, but when I have been getting posts with less that 100 people seeing it, I figured my readers just didn’t care or weren’t online… scary that they seem to be weeding us out! I am sharing this with my folks and hopefully Facebook gets the point!!

Rachel, it is scary that they are really slowly almost doing away with us. I don’t think that the market exists for everyone to pay like they are pushing for. Sure big brands will but I think most readers like engaging with bloggers and small brands, who will not be paying.

Wow, thank you so much for this! I’ve tried to present this to my readers but its difficult to explain. You, however, explained it so well. I will definitely be sharing this and giving the credit to you :-)

THANK YOU so much for writing this article. I was just having this conversation the other ideas and was left scratching my head. I’ll be sharing this with my readers.

Hi Christi — My sister told me last night that my blog was not showing up in her facebook feed anymore. I said I know the perfect solution and went right to your infographic someone shared on facebook a bit before my sister’s phone call. And guess what — as your addendum pointed out — the button no longer exists on my facebook page. Even worse –when I “liked” your page, it didn’t show up there either — hiss, boo facebook :-( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Still there is a lot of good information on other ways to connect and I will share to whomever can read it! Thank you so much!

This is definitely frustrating, since I really like FB as my place to catch up with everything in one place (friends, family, local events, favorite restaurants, blogs, etc)…and I want to keep up with the small/local sites much more than I do with Target or Starbucks.

Something I did (even before this issue came up) was create interest lists. I have a “foodie fun” interest list and when I like a blog or restaurant I click “add to interest list” on the like menu which seems to push most of the posts onto that list feed. When I scroll through it I definitely see things that I didn’t see on my regular newsfeed – and I know that everything on that list will be food related (awesome!).

I also like bloglovin’ – It makes it easy to keep up with my favorites, since they are all in one place and their mobile app is very simple.

Thanks for sharing all this information!

8. terry says

Blogger strike…perhaps a FB strike by people who want to see what they want to see – right like that could happen…it really irks me that they get to choose who sees something. Isn’t that what they do in so. korea? Only allow their country to see what they choose for them to see?. Seriously is driving me nuts!!

You are welcome Jenn. I feel like we see so much “perfect” online, that whenever we can share that those little glimpses of perfect are just that, little glimpses, there is always more, and it’s usually not all perfect. :)

Thank you for making such a great post! I found you via Lynne at 365 Days of Baking so had to come over and take a read and say hello!
    I’ll share your post with my group, you’ve made it easy to understand and follow, so thank you for taking the time to explain so well.
    Mary

This is so great! You are now my favorite hero! This explains so much! Maybe I’m not so crazy. Thank you, this is such a huge help. I’m rather new at this and still have so much to learn.

It used to be when you started a new business there were ways to get your voice out there without a lot of money. It may have taken time but with hard work there was a payoff. Now it seems like we live in a world of instant gratification. The investors want to see their money back right away so selling expensive “page time” to big companies makes sense to them. To cater to those big companies the Facebook people change things up to make sure a person will be exposed to these new ads. Then as the ads clutter what readers are seeing less people tune in. Or worse – the new “let’s guarantee people are definitely seeing this page where we put your ad Mr. Corporation” prevents people from seeing the blogs they came to like reading on Facebook. And eventually, after investors wring everything they can out of it, Facebook dies. Where does a person go these days who’s not looking to make a bunch of money but just wants to at least cover their time and get the word out about their blog or product that they know will help people have better lives???