If big, rich, delicious chocolate cookies are your thing, you will love this Levain Bakery Chocolate Cookie Recipe Copycat!
Last week my daughter and I were watching The Best Thing I Ever Ate and I was mesmerized by the giant Levain Bakery Chocolate Cookies in New York City that Rocco DiSpirito was going on and on about. These cookies epitomized the perfect chocolate cookie. I have not been able to get them off my mind (trust me, I’ve tried). Being on the other side of the country from Levain Bakery, I decided I needed to replicate these cookies with some form of a copycat. I am so glad I did. This Levain Bakery Chocolate Cookie Recipe Copycat is amazing!
They were everything I hoped for – dark, fudgey, thick and rich. I could have probably baked mine a minute or two less (I like my cookies somewhere between raw dough and actual salmonella free fully cooked cookies, but I truly would be content just eating dough).
Here is the amazingly yummy Levain Bakery Chocolate Cookie Recipe Copycat
CHOCOLATE COOKIE RECIPE
Levain Bakery Chocolate Cookie Recipe Copycat
- 1 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes freezing butter slightly makes it easier to cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar. Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Blend in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. Mix in the cocoa powder until well blended.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder to the bowl and mix on low speed just until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead briefly by hand to be sure the ingredients are well combined. This dough is VERY thick. I kneaded mine in the bowl, and that worked out just fine.
- Divide the dough into 4 ounce portions (or divide into 12 equal pieces). Roll each portion of dough into a ball and flatten just slightly into a disc. Place on the prepared baking sheets, a few inches apart.
- Bake 16-20 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
They looked pretty good, but I had to make sure…
Yeah, I think those will do just fine. Maybe with a nice glass of milk…
LEVAIN BAKERY CHOCOLATE COOKIE RECIPE
Double dark chocolate chocolate chip cookies. SO good.
Oh, and a bit of great baking advice. ALWAYS double check that the oven is empty before pre-heating. I only did this to give everyone an example of what can happen (yeah, right, something like that…)
Now to come up with some cute packaging ideas for these cookies. They are so good that a few of them need to leave the house ASAP. The temptation will be WAY too great otherwise.
MORE JUMBO COOKIE RECIPES
Need more jumbo cookies in your cookie jar? I’ve got a few more recipes that you’ll love! You can start with my other recipe for Levain Bakery cookies. Oh these are dreamy!
Then grab some XL Bakery Style Peanut Butter Cookies over at Crazy For Crust.
Next head over to Mom On Timeout and get her recipe for Reese’s Stuffed Giant Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Finally, finish up with some Texas Cowboy Cookies from The Food Charlton.