For the cupcakes:
- 1/12 cups cake flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup assorted sprinkles jimmies work best; avoid nonpareils
For the frosting:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.
Whisk together cake flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs and vanilla until well blended. Whisk in sugar until well blended. Slowly whisk in butter and mix well to combine.
Add ½ of the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until combined. Mix in the buttermilk and stir until combined. Mix in remaining dry mixture and mix just until combined.
Gently fold in sprinkles and mix just until combined. Do not over mix or the sprinkle colors will bleed into the cake batter.
Scoop batter into prepared cupcake liners, each should be about ⅔ full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for approximately 10 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack prior to frosting.
With a mixer, beat butter until light and creamy, approximately 3 minutes.
Add powdered sugar to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Add in heavy cream and vanilla extract and once combined mix for 2-3 minutes on high speed. If frosting seems too thin, add more powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. If frosting seems too thick, add more heavy cream, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
Spread or pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles.
- If needed, the 3 cups cake flour in this recipe can be replaced by measuring out 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour, removing two tablespoons of flour from the 1 ½ cups and replacing it with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Make sure to mix flour and cornstarch together well prior to using.
- Jimmies style sprinkles work best in this recipes. Nonpareils sprinkles tend to bleed their colors almost immediately which results in a dingy looking cupcake.
Calories: 446kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 336mg | Potassium: 68mg | Sugar: 56g | Vitamin A: 782IU | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg