Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes – For Teacher Appreciation Or Mother’s Day

I have another idea for Teacher Appreciation week for you, and this one could be used for Mother’s Day, summer get togethers, kids parties – anything really!   These are one of my all time favorite cupcake creations – ranking high on the cuteness scale.  Ice cream sundae cupcakes.   Minus the ice cream.

I absolutely can’t take credit for this brilliant idea – it comes from one of my favorite bloggers – Kristan at Confessions Of A Cookbook QueenShe shared it at Living Locurto last year and I was sold – they are too cute (and easy!) to pass up.

I made some of these last year, along with some free printables to go with them, and it’s safe to say they were a big hit at my daughter’s school.

I was thinking of making them again this year.  My daughter is at a different school, so they wouldn’t really be repeats.   When I ran into these cute little ice cream cups at Michael’s, my mind was made up, I had to make some.

These cups were a bit smaller than the ones I used last year which actually worked out better as they are more suited for a standard sized cupcake.

To package them I just slip the cups into a cellophane bag and tie on some ribbon and finish with a gift tag.  Really easy.

To make these you need a batch of cupcakes that you’ve baked up, some frosting, melting chocolate, sprinkles and a topper (M&M’s or gumballs work perfectly).    This is one of the times that you want your frosting on the thick side, because you are going to scoop it on to the cupcake the same way you would when you scoop ice cream.

For my full step by step how to make these, make sure to check out this post that I did last year.

Cupcakes.  Frosting.  Gumballs.  Polka dots.  AHHHH I love it all!

I made up some free printables for you to use with these.   Again, I found the cups at Michael’s.  If you can’t find them, you could use the clear plastic cups like I used in the Apple For The Teacher cupcakes.

Now go out and bake some cupcakes and show some teacher appreciation!   Happy Friday!

Don’t forget to head to the free printable page to print off your gift tags!

Comments

Lovely idea! I must definitely try them! Mother’s day would be perfect, or even a nice surprise for anyone, with no special occasion even needed! Thank you for sharing such beautiful treats!

Oh my gosh! These are the cutest thing EVER!! I love them!!!! I think I will try them for Jack’s teacher. Love love love.

3. susan strohl says

can you use fluff instead of ice cream? these would be good for a bake sale i am having in june!

Susan, I’m not sure. I used frosting for these – don’t think I’d attempt actual ice cream as here in Phoenix it melts before I get it out of the carton! I don’t know if fluff would hold up as well as frosting.

4. Debra Kapellakis says

Oh my goodness! Those are the cutest little gifts ever. Made perfect by their polka dot bowls. What teacher wouldn’t like one of those during their breaks.

Amanda, yep – such a brilliant idea of Amy and Kristan (think we need to always credit Kristan from Confessions Of A Cookbook Queen as well, as they are one of her wonderful creations). These are always a hit!

I was in love with these when I saw them on Living Locurto last year

Would have been nice for you to have linked to her printables though, instead of offering your own on her idea.

Lauren, if you read my post, BOTH last year and this year, both of them link to her and gives her credit… I think this sentence in the post does exactly that… I absolutely can’t take credit for this brilliant idea – it comes from one of my favorite bloggers – Kristan at Confessions Of A Cookbook Queen. She shared it at Living Locurto last year and I was sold – they are too cute (and easy!) to pass up. Or my Facebook post about them Another fun and easy Teacher Appreciation treat for you today – Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes. I can’t take credit for the idea, as it was the work of the wonderful Confessions of a Cookbook Queen at Living Locurto last year. This is my second year making these for teacher appreciation week, they truly are one of my all time favorite treats to give! Sorry, but I am ALL about always giving credit where credit is due, and supporting other bloggers and sending readers their way, so please actually read the post before assuming credit wasn’t given. Thanks.

6. Toni says

Hi Christi….

I just wanted to say Thank you for sharing this post/blog … These were so adorable… that I had to make some up to give to my kids’ teachers to show a huge thank you for all they do. I knew the moment I saw them that the teachers would LOVE them…. I made some up last night and took them to the teachers today… and Yep just as I thought they loved them… they were asking where I got the cute idea and I was happy to share your blog address with them… I think most of them love the cute polka dots cups the most… they were very cute and very inexpensive… I found them at Michaels just as you said and they were on sale for .99…. I bought extras for next year!!! So I just wanted to thank you for the cute idea and the printables (thank you Kristan from Confessions Of A Cookbook Queen also)…….

Ah, thanks Toni – I love to hear stories like that! I know those cups were so cute, I really need to go see about getting more. They did have some red, white and blue ones, but I only grabbed one pack. They are such a perfect size and SO cute! :) Thanks for sharing!

These are simply adorable! LOVE the little ice cream cups that you used! I’ve seen ice cream cone cupcakes before, but like my ice cream… I prefer to ditch the cone and go for the bowl, so these are just perfect! There’s so many fun ways you could package these as well :)

[quote] “Sorry, but I am ALL about always giving credit where credit is due, and supporting other bloggers and sending readers their way, so please actually read the post before assuming credit wasn’t given. Thanks.”

you may want to actually READ my comment – because I did read your post and did not assume or say that you didn’t give credit – I saw that you linked and said where your inspiration came from. What you did though was make a printable that is very similar to the one LivingLocurto made for this exact idea. That’s the part I was referring to.

Bloggers post to share ideas, and love to see other people use their ideas. But when you take that idea and dont’ make it your own and then show your readers HOW to make it and even offer them a printable that is almost identical to the original, then where is the need for your readers to visit the original source? So yes, you credit where your idea came from, but when you virtually copy all of the idea and share it all on your site, that’s just not right.

9. Illa says

Very, very cute, but teachers don’t eat food students give them. Especially not if it’s homemade. You’ll spend hours on these and they’ll just end up in the trash. You should see the teacher’s lounge at Christmas when every kid brings in cookies of dubious origins; everything ‘edible’ gets tossed. A lot of the times this is the official policy (there’s no way to tell a kid’s home situation, once we got a plate of gorgeous treats just filled with cat hair, or whether the food is safe to eat, such as when students try to sabotage it with salt/laxatives/allergens/spit etc.) Have your kid write a meaningful note and attach it to office supplies, and save these for a summer party.

10. Jeanne says

Adorable and such a fun party favor to take away. You will surely be known as the Hostess with the Mostest”. Love it! Thank you for sharing!

1. […] So many fun possibilities.  I love doing faux sundae cupcakes.   So simple, really very little difference than making regular cupcakes but they certainly up the cute and fun factor.  Here are some I made for teacher appreciation last year… […]

2. […] remember that I shared a post from Love From The Oven a couple of days ago which featured these Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes that she made as teacher appreciation gifts. They were too cute! There was no way I was NOT going […]