While berry season may be coming to a close, there is still time for berry lovers to enjoy berry compote parfaits! This recipe combines fresh berries, homemade berry compote, Greek yogurt and whipped cream for a delicious breakfast or dessert. No fresh berries on hand? Don’t worry, you can use frozen as well!
Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe
Berry compote is easy to make and takes this parfait to the next level.
You can make the compote in advance and store it for a week or so which lets you make part of this ahead of the day you want to serve it.
The delicious berry compote makes the perfect topping for ice cream, cookies, cakes, pancakes, waffles…the list goes on!
Kids will feel like they are getting a delicious dessert for breakfast!
Berry season is such an amazing time of year because not only berries delicious and nutritious, but you can make so many delicious berry recipes with them. One of my favorite things to make when I have lots of berries on hand is this Easy Berry Compote Parfait Recipe. It works great as a breakfast or a dessert and it scores major points for it’s beautiful presentation!
Let’s discuss how to make this berry compote parfait, as well as the ingredients that are needed for it. Please take note that below you will find discussion, expert tips, and answers to frequently asked questions about this recipe to help you recreate it in your kitchen.
If you *just* want the recipe itself, scroll down. The full printable recipe itself, with exact measurements and instructions, is found at the bottom of this page
How To Make Berry Compote
Let’s go over the ingredients that you’ll need to make this easy recipe. Reminder, full printable recipe is found at the bottom of the page.
- 1 cup mixed berries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 18 ounces fresh berries, any mix, any varieties, optional
- 10 gingersnap cookies, optional
- Mint leaves for garnish, optional
Steps To Take
First, we have to make the berry compote. If you have never done it before – don’t stress out! It is pretty easy.
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup of your frozen berries with 1 tablespoon water over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, then simmer on low for 5 minutes or so, to heat up the berries and make them a bit tender. Use your potato masher to help mash up the berries and then stir in the maple syrup.
Allow to simmer until slightly reduced, about 2 to 4 minutes. That just means you are cooking some of the excess liquid out so it has more of a jam like consistency.
Remove your pan from heat and allow your berry compote to cool to room temperature.
While your compote is cooling, you can make the cream for your parfaits!
With an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, and maple syrup in a large bowl. Beat on medium-high until everything is well blended together. Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge until you are ready to assemble your berry compote parfaits.
Let’s assemble the parfaits! In a fancy glass, break apart 2 gingersnap cookies if you are using . It should be just enough to make an even layer. Top those with about 2 to 3 tablespoons of your amazing berry compote. On top of that, place a layer of your yogurt-cream. Place an even layer of fresh berries over that, just enough to completely cover the cream layer.
Repeat the entire process with a cookie-crumble layer, then cream layer. Finally, top with a layer of fresh berries. Garnish with one of those mint leaves and you are all set!
Do the same thing three more times, until all four fancy glasses are ready to treat your family or friends. Keep them in the fridge until you are ready to wow everyone by serving them.
Berry Compote Parfait Variations
Instead of gingersnaps, you can use a 1/4 cup of your favorite granola or your favorite cookie or even vanilla wafers. Anything that will give a slightly crunchy contrast.
Instead of our yogurt cream sauce try using a white chocolate mousse.
You can make the berry compote up to a week in advance and keep it in the fridge. I wouldn’t suggest making the yogurt cream sauce more than one day ahead.
Make it breakfast friendly – skip the cream cheese and use only the Greek yogurt. Substitute granola for the cookies and you’ve got a healthy, fun, beautiful breakfast.
It’s a great idea to opt for flavored Greek yogurt. Vanilla, strawberry and lemon are all delicious choices! But if you want more control over the sweetness of your dish, then go with the plain Greek yogurt instead.
Berry Compote Parfait
- 1 cup mixed berries fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 18 oz fresh berries any mixture/variety
- 10 gingersnap cookies for garnish
- mint leaves for garnish
- Make the berry compote: In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup berries with 1 tablespoon water over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, then simmer on low for 5 minutes. Mash up the berries and stir in the syrup.Allow to simmer until slightly reduced, about 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Make the cream: With an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, yogurt, vanilla, and syrup in a large bowl. Beat on medium-high until well blended. Place bowl in fridge until ready to assemble parfaits.
- Assemble the parfaits: In a glass, break apart 2 gingersnap cookies if using, just enough to make an even layer. Top with about 2 to 3 tablespoons of berry compote. Top that with a layer of the yogurt-cream. Place an even layer of fresh berries, just enough to completely cover the cream layer. Repeat the cookie-crumble layer, then cream layer. Finally, top with a layer of fresh berries, and a mint leaf if desired. Repeat this process for all 4 glasses. Store in the fridge until ready to serve!