I have such a fun and delicious Christmas Cookie recipe for you today, and it features two of my favorite holiday flavors – chocolate and peppermint! I thought it would be fun to put a twist on the popular thumbprint cookies, and fill them with peppermint bark! Chocolate thumbprint cookies!
These delicious chocolate cookies come together in no time at all. The combo of delicious buttery chocolate shortbread, and minty, crunchy, candy cane filled white chocolate, it’s a wonderful thing!
These cookies couldn’t be easier, thanks to Krusteaz’s Shortbread Cookie Mix, which creates the base cookie for this recipe.
As a member of the Krusteaz Baker’s Dozen, I get to try out Krusteaz products, and share my results with you. This recipe was a hit and it’s so easy. All you have to add to the mix is butter and cocoa powder, and you have your cookie dough. These cookies are delicious, just like that, but the peppermint bark filling really takes them to a whole other level, perfect for your holiday baking platters and cookie exchanges.
I’ll be joining the other bloggers in the Krusteaz Baker’s Dozen on Twitter this coming Monday, December 15th from 4-5pm EST. We’ll be talking all things holiday baking and we’d love to have you join us, you can even sine some Krusteaz Mixes! #SeizeTheKrusteaz
During the busy (sometimes chaotic) holiday season, I love having recipes like this on hand that I can put together in no time at all. I love that this recipe is both easy and has such great results. The chocolate shortbread is such a nice contrast to the sweet minty centers. Here’s the recipe, which you can also find over on the Krusteaz website.
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 Krusteaz Shortbread Cookie Mix
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup 1 and ½ sticks butter, softened to room temperature
- 6 oz vanilla flavored candy melts or almond bark
- 3 tablespoons crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cookie mix and cocoa until well blended. Combine dry mixture with butter and stir until dough forms. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons, 2-inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 11-13 minutes or until light golden brown around edges. Immediately press center of cookies with back of spoon.
- Melt candy melts or almond bark according to package directions. Stir in two tablespoons of crushed candy cane pieces to create a peppermint bark mixture. Spoon a small amount of peppermint bark mixture into thumbprint area in each cookie. Sprinkle remaining crushed candy cane pieces onto peppermint bark mixture in each cookie. Allow to set for at least two hours.
Krusteaz has some fabulous ideas or other ways you can shake up your Krusteaz Shortbread Cookie Mix with stir-ins. From Rosemary Shortbread to Pretzel Shortbread! Check them out on the Krusteaz website. I love how versatile shortbread is, and how many fantastic variations can be made simply and easily.
I hope you enjoy these cookies, they would be so fun for a cookie exchange, and will definitely be on my holiday cookie platter this year. I hope to chat with you at the Twitter chat on Monday, December 15th from 4-5pm! #SeizeTheKrusteaz
Disclosure: As part of the Krusteaz Baker’s Dozen, I am provided with free product and am compensated for my posts. All opinions are mine and mine alone.