Need a quick, easy and delicious dish that you can whip up to enjoy while watching the big game this weekend? I’ve got you covered! These quick and easy calzones are sure to be a crowd pleaser at your next party.
I’ll be honest, I don’t know a whole lot about football. But I do know that the food that goes with it is pretty spectacular and these quick and easy calzones are no exception. Whether you host your own party or are watching the game at a friends’, this simple and easy recipe is a crowd pleaser.
What I love about these, aside from the taste, is that you can whip these up while watching the game and chatting with friends. Thanks to Johnsonville sausage, these delicious calzones are packed full of flavor. You don’t have to worry about seasoning the sausage, Johnsonville has taken care of that for you! To make these you just need Johnsonville Italian sausage, refrigerated pizza dough, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and some marinara sauce. Super simple.
This isn’t a super precise recipe, making it easy to pull it together even if your focus is on the television and your guests. You don’t even have to be exact in your measurements, which is something I love when I’m cooking and interacting with friends and family.
You’ll cook up your Johnsonville sausage, combine some ricotta and mozzarella cheese, and add those, along with some marinara sauce, to your refrigerated pizza dough, and bake. That’s it. I’m all about connivence on this one!
- 1 package Johnsonville Italian sausage
- 2 cans refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 ounces container of ricotta cheese approximately 15
- 1 ounces bag of shredded mozzarella cheese approximately 6-8
- 1 cup of marinara sauce with remainder of jar set aside for serving on the side
- Optional - if desired add a pinch of salt pepper and parsley to your ricotta and mozzarella mixture
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown sausage. Once fully cooked, pour in one cup of marinara sauce and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Mix container of ricotta cheese with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Roll out pizza dough and slice into eight rectangles (four per each can of pizza dough). Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Scoop a spoonful of ricotta and mozzarella cheese mixture onto each piece of pizza dough. Top with a spoonful of the sausage and marinara mixture. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top of sausage mixture. Fold over pizza dough to enclose filling and crimp closed with a fork.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
If you are looking for more great recipes that are perfect for the Big Game, Johnsonville has you covered with The Sausage Dome! As the leader in sausage, Johnsonville is searching for the best recipes to add to their official book of Game Day recipes and has turned their quest into an all-out sausage recipe reality show competition, The Sausage Dome, where contestants from all around America pitch their Game Day grub to six real-life Johnsonville employees also known as “The Sausage Six.” In each of the 3 episodes, three contestants, ranging from a 13-year-old chef to an Italian grandma named Nonna Gina, give it their all for a chance to have their recipe live forever as one of Johnsonville’s official Game Day recipes.
Visit http://www.sausagedome.com/ to view the latest episodes and find the best sausage recipes for your own game day spread.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville. The opinions and text are all mine.