I have always thought of myself as a chocolate girl. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Everyone loves chocolate, right? Well lately I’ve been feeling like I’m in a bit of a baking rut, craving new flavors, something different. Oh my goodness, it turns out I am pretty darn head over heels for the flavors of lemon and lime. They are so refreshing and perfect for summer sweets and treats.
These Lemon Cupcakes are sweet, with a lovely light lemon flavor and the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting, let’s just say it could be it’s own dessert, it’s that darn good. I’m not sure why Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting hasn’t been in my life before now, but I’m certain that it’s here to stay. Easy and incredibly tasty.
I am excited to partner with McCormick to share some of the ways that I enjoy using their products in my kitchen. With the help of some McCormick Yellow Food Coloring, these cupcakes have a lovely light yellow ombre effect and McCormick’s Pure Lemon Extract gives these a perfectly sweet, slightly tart, lemon flavor. Pretty and delicious!
I divided my cake batter in half and tinted one half slightly darker than the other. I spooned the darker yellow batter into my cupcake liners first, and topped with with the lighter yellow batter.
This Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting is a thing of beauty. It is incredible. I kind of want to top everything with it. Or just eat it by the spoonful.
I topped my cupcakes with little sugared lemon slice decorations, but another super cute way to top these cupcakes would be with these cute little marshmallow daisy flowers. Check them out on the McCormick site.
If you are looking for a dessert for Mother’s Day, graduation parties or any other summer get together, these would be perfect.
Here’s the recipe!
Ombre Lemon Cupcakes With Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package 15 ounces white cake mix
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- McCormick® Yellow Food Color
- 1 package 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 5 drops McCormick® Yellow Food Color depending on color you are wanting
- Preheat oven and prepare cake mix according to cake mix package directions, and add in lemon extract.
- Divide cake batter equally into two bowls. Add McCormick Yellow Food Coloring to each bowl, approximately 10 drops of food coloring in one bowl and 20 drops of food coloring in the other bowl. Spoon the darker colored batter into the bottom of 18-24 (depending on your cake mix) cupcake liners. Spoon the lighter colored batter on top of the darker colored batter. Bake according to package directions. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Beat cream cheese, softened butter, sour cream and lemon extract in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add in your yellow food coloring. Mix until well combined. Add in your confectioners sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Depending on your desired frosting consistency, you may want to use more then 3 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar. Once the desired consistency has been reached, frost your cupcakes with frosting. Garnish as desired.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Looking for some other lovely lemon desserts? Here are some great options you can try from McCormick.com…
Disclaimer: I have partnered with McCormick to share some of my favorite ways to use McCormick products in my kitchen. I am compensated as part of this partnership, however all opinions expressed are, as always, mine and mine alone.