In less time than it takes to run to the donut shop, you can whip up a batch of easy pancake mix donuts. These delicious homemade cake donuts only require a few minutes time and a handful of ingredients. While we love a satiny chocolate glaze on our donuts, you can top them with whatever topping your family enjoys most!
If you’ve never made homemade donuts, you might be surprised just how easy they are to make. Thanks to Krusteaz Pancake Mix, it’s easier than ever to start your day with a batch of fresh donuts. You are just two ingredients (plus toppings) and about 15 minutes away from your family enjoying donuts that you made yourself!
Pancake Mix Donuts
I’ve recently shared some delicious recipes that I make with Krusteaz Pancake Mix, including Funnel Cake Made With Pancake Mix and Hot Chocolate Pancakes. Today I’m excited to share another great way to use your favorite pancake mix – to make homemade donuts!
How To Make Donuts With Pancake Mix
Making donuts with pancake mix is about as easy as it gets! All you need is Krusteaz Light & Fluffy Buttermilk Pancake Mix and milk, as well as some oil for frying. While these donuts are delicious on their own, we love to top them with chocolate glaze and sprinkles.
To make these donuts, simply combine your pancake mix with milk and stir. After that it’s a matter of gently rolling out your dough, cutting and frying. It’s that simple! You don’t even need a donut shaped cutter, just find two round cutters or items such as glasses, and you’re in business.
After making your dough and cutting your donut shapes, you prep your oil. I find the ideal temperature to fry donuts at is about 375 degrees F. At this temperature it takes about 1-2 minutes per side to cook each donut. If you are cooking your donut holes, those take slightly less time.
Working one donut at a time, cook donuts then simply transfer them to a baking sheet covered with paper towels, to soak up excess oil. After that it’s time to add your toppings. Our favorite toppings are powdered sugar and chocolate glaze with sprinkles.
The chocolate glaze recipe is found below with the donut recipe. If you want to cover your donuts with powdered sugar, simply add powdered sugar to a large freezer style bag, place your donut or donut holes into the bag, and give it a gentle shake to coat your donuts. Easy peasy!
I love that Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix makes this SO easy. I also love that they use delicious, quality ingredients, no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
Tips For Making Pancake Mix Donuts
- Do not over mix your Krusteaz Pancake Mix and milk.
- Use a large, deep, heavy bottomed pot for frying your donuts and don’t overcrowd the pot. I prefer to work one donut at a time.
- Use a neutral oil, such as peanut or safflower, with a high smoke point.
- A simple digital thermometer is incredibly helpful for any sort of frying. If the temperature is too low, donuts can turn out a bit soggy. Oil that is too hot on the other hand can over cook the outside before the inside is fully cooked.
- Be aware that the temperature changes constantly, so it’s a good idea to check it before each donut.
- After cooking immediately place on paper towels, which will help absorb excess grease.
- It’s best to top or coat your donuts while warm, and serve immediately.
- Always use care and caution when frying foods. The US Dept of Agriculture has some great tips for safety when frying foods. If you are new to frying foods, or need a refresher on safety (we can all use that!) please check out their safety tips here.
I can’t wait for you to try making these deliciously easy donuts at home with Krusteaz Pancake Mix!
Pancake Mix Donuts
- Donut cutter, or round cutters
- Digital Thermometer
- 3 cups Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups neutral oil peanut or safflower are good options
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4-5 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Place oil into a medium to large heavy sauce pan or dutch oven. Heat over medium heat, checking temperature every few minutes with a thermometer to monitor.
- In a mixing bowl, combine Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix and milk. Stir to combine but do not over mix. The dough will have a shaggy, not smooth, appearance. Transfer dough to a clean, non-stick surface that has been sprinkled with approximately 1-2 tablespoons of pancake mix or flour.
- Gently roll dough to about 1/4" thick. Use a donut or round shaped cutter, or even a glass, to cut out each donut. Use a smaller cutter to cut out donut holes.
- When oil is at 375 degrees F, gently slip a donut into the oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or to a light golden brown. Donuts can cook quickly, so once you see a light golden brown it's time to flip or remove the donut. Once cooked, carefully transfer to a baking sheet or plate lined with multiple paper towels. Repeat steps to cook remaining donuts.
Chocolate Glaze (optional)
- In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients and whisk or stir until smooth. If glaze is thicker than you prefer, simply add more milk, 1-2 teaspoons at a time. Gently dip the top of each donut into the glaze, then transfer to a wire rack to allow for excess glaze to drip off. If desired, garnish with sprinkles.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclosure: this post was sponsored by Krusteaz. All opinions however are mine and mine alone.