Can we talk for a moment about Pop Tarts? Pop Tarts may be my all time favorite junk food item, one of the things you remember as a special treat when you were a kid. Chocolate, brown sugar, cherry – I’ll pretty much take any Pop Tart that is being handed out. They are one of my road trip favorites. I don’t buy them often, because much like cereal, I tend to take issue with the serving size. I mean if you put two Pop Tarts in a pack, then I should get to enjoy both, right? Or the entire box? So while I don’t have them often, I sure love them when I do have them. I’m taking that love to a whole new level with these Peanut Butter Pop Tart Brownies.
Oh yeah. Have you seen the new Gone Nutty Pop Tarts yet? I bought a box about a month ago and somehow they never made it on the blog. Hmm, no clue how that happened. 😉 They might be the best Pop Tarts I’ve ever tried. They almost have a peanut butter brownie taste in my opinion, so putting them into brownies just made sense. I found mine at Target and have also seen them at my Super Walmart.
To make these, I simply used a 13×9″ box brownie recipe, added the Pop Tarts to the bottom of the pan (hello, greatest “crust” ever!), added my brownie batter then drizzled on some melted peanut butter and topped with a sprinkle of chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. Very simple. And very delicious.
The Pop Tarts almost cover the entire bottom of the pan. If you want them to completely cover the bottom, I’d go with either a 9×9″ recipe or just grab another box, one more Pop Tart should get you there.
These take a bit longer to bake than brownies without Pop Tarts would. I probably had to add on about 50% to my baking time.
Oh me oh my. Good stuff.
Great like this, but even better topped with ice cream.
That is what I’m talking about.
You could probably use any flavor of Pop Tarts with these (well, maybe not like blueberry, but I won’t judge if you do) but any chocolate or peanut butter version would be great.
- 1 13 x9" Brownie Mix Of Your Choice and ingredients called for on the box
- 1 Box Of Gone Nutty Pop Tarts
- 1/3 cup peanut butter slightly melted in the microwave
- 1/4 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven according to the directions on your mix. Line the bottom of your baking pan with your Pop Tarts, you may have to cut a few to make them all fit. Pour your brownie batter on top of the pop tarts. Drizzle your melted peanut butter over the top of your brownie batter, then top with peanut butter and chocolate chips. Bake according to package directions, but be prepared to increase baking time as the Pop Tarts on the bottom make it take a bit longer for the brownies to bake (I added 50% to my baking time). Remove from oven and serve warm a la mode with a scoop of ice cream or at room temperature.