So I didn’t plan on making whole wheat cinnamon rolls. Really. I really just planned to make some regular cinnamon rolls for a friend for her birthday. But as soon as I put my little one down for her nap I realized I was severely lacking in all purpose flour (yeah, that’s kind of a baking blogger sin). So, with a brand new bag of my much loved white whole wheat flour in the pantry I said what the heck, let’s see what happens. And this happened.
Holy heck, they are great! Granted, you put that much butter and cinnamon into something and really it can’t be awful, but the texture, while not quite right the first day, is pretty much perfect the next morning. I’m not sure I’ll make cinnamon rolls with all purpose flour again. These babies seriously rock.
I probably shouldn’t be too surprised as I based them off the recipe for the Caramel Pecan Rolls that I made recently, from the Become A Better Baker Website. Those Caramel Pecan Rolls, let’s just say I’d marry them if I could, they are that incredible.
So I made some changes to the original recipe, and I really am super happy with the results. Again, due to the butter an sugar, I wouldn’t call these health food by any means, but instead of 7-8 cups of all purpose flour, it’s 7-8 cups of whole wheat, and that’s at least an improvement.
These use Fleishman’s Rapid Rise Yeast, which is good stuff. I get a much better rise with it than any other yeast I’ve used and it’s, well, rapid. If you are confused about the different types of yeasts, I highly recommend this video over on the Become A Better Baker site – for the first time I actually feel like I get the differences. 🙂
So, here is the recipe. Seriously – make these. Add some sprinkles for fun, and you will have one heck of a sweet start to your day.
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 envelopes Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast
- 7 to 7 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 cups very warm water 120° to 130°F
- 9 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 pound bag powdered sugar approx 8 cups
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 TBSP Vanilla Extract
- 1 TSP Maple Extract
- 1 TSP salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk
- Mix 1 cup butter, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs. In a separate bowl, combine yeast and 4 cups flour; mix thoroughly. Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture, then add water. Mix well and add an additional 3 to 3 1/2 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, until soft smooth dough forms. Turn out on lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Cover and let dough rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into 3 equal portions.
- Roll each portion out to an 14 x 8-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Brush each with 3 tablespoons melted butter. Combine 1 cup sugar with cinnamon. Sprinkle 1/3 cup cinnamon sugar on each rectangle. Roll up from long side. Cut each roll into 8 slices. Spray two 13x9 baking pans with non-stick cooking spray. Place 12 rolls into each pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven.
- While cinnamon rolls are baking you can prepare your frosting. Beat softened butter with mixer until fluffy. Add in salt, vanilla and maple. Add in powdered sugar and slowly beat with mixer while adding in your milk. Start with 1/4 cup milk and continue to slowly add, a tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat with your mixer, until you reach the desired consistency for your frosting (for some this may require slightly more than 1/2 a cup of milk).
- You can frost your cinnamon rolls immediately after taking them out of the oven if you like to have the frosting melt into the rolls, otherwise allow them to cool than frost, serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
For more cinnamon roll recipes follow this link. I love me some cinnamon rolls! Birthday Cake Cinnamon Rolls, Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls, Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls, Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls – you name it, we love Cinnamon Rolls here at Love From The Oven! 🙂