Cookies In The Whoopie Pie Pan

When I bought Wilton Whoopie Pie Pan on a whim the other day, I kind of felt like I may have thrown away a few bucks, as I had no intention of making whoopie pies.

Oh was I so so wrong.   This is my new found holy grail of cookie pans.   I am way to flipping excited about this pan, like abnormally profess my love in front of everyone excited.  I may have even run out and purchased the Heart Whoopie Pie Pan.  Hell, I may even make whoopie pies!   It’s that fabulous.

I LOVE to make cookies in the muffin top pan (a la Jenny over at the oh so awesome Picky Palate).  But let’s face it, those are some BIG cookies and my seven year old gets all kinds of bent when I tell her she can only have  half a cookie (even if the cookie is approximately the size of her head).    The whoopie pie pan is the amazing middle ground.  Perfect uniform sized cookies in a “sure you can have the entire cookie because I’m such an awesome mom” size.

So anyways, now that I have hopefully conveyed my (somewhat disturbing)  love of this pan – let’s talk about the cookies I made!    I used Jenny’s Picky Palate Recipe for XXL M&M Cookies (though we should probably revise it to L-XL M&M Cookies).

XXL M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks softened butter

3/4 Cup sugar

1 Cup packed light brown sugar

2 extra large eggs

2 Tablespoons pure vanilla

3 3/4 Cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

12 oz bag chocolate chips

1 bag M&M’s (you’ll have some left over)  & various sprinkles

(I added 1/2 tsp of baking powder to her recipe)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer beat the butter and sugars until well beaten.  Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined.  Place flour, baking soda and salt into a large bowl; mix.

(I try to be really festive and match my baking supplies and materials to the holiday.   Okay, that’s a lie – at Halloween I’ll still be baking with red and pink items, at which time it won’t look nearly as cute in photos).

Slowly add to wet ingredients along with the chocolate chips.  Do not mix in M&M’s or sprinkles in with the batter – they go on last.

I separated the M&Ms because I just wasn’t completely loving the mauve tone pink with the red.    And yes, I  felt like a roadie for Van Halen on the 1984 tour while doing so.

Press dough into whoopie pie pan, than press M&M’s or sprinkles onto the top of each cookie and bake.

Mine took about nine minutes each (and I prefer mine slightly underdone).

And out come the cutest chocolate chip Valentine cookies!

I let mine cool about ten minute in the pan before pulling them out.  They came out SUPER easily, the non-stick is actually, well, non-stick.  A refreshing change of pace in my non-stick experience.    I was able to get 34 cookies out of the recipe.   Truth be told I’m sure you can get three dozen out of it IF you do not eat two cookies worth of dough for lunch.   Trust me.

Awww…  So cute I almost couldn’t eat it.  But I got over that.

I mentioned I love the pan, right?  Seriously – buy the pan!    Cute cute cute!

And to make me love this even more, the cookies are the PERFECT size to fit in the bags that I use for my pretztels.

See – perfect fit!

Tomorrow I’ll finish packaging and share what I’m doing for that.   :)

Chocolate Chip Cookies Baked In A Whoopie Pie Pan

Comments

OMG! I love these cookies! You have taken great shot on these cookies.
    M&M and choc chip, I bet my 6 yr old boy sees this, he will be bugging me to start to work on it! Thinking to tryout my first batch of cookies, yours recipe will be my first to bookmark!
    thanks for shring.

Thanks! Yum, a cookie brownie… I was actually thinking of trying brownie batter in the pan – might work out nicely. Though I truly prefer the entire pan and a fork when it comes to brownies…

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

Glad you found a use for the Whoopie Pie pan. Frankly, they are terrible for Whoopie Pies. The pan makes them all flat.
    This is a great idea for portion control.

Nicole, that’s interesting – but I can see that happening. I’ve never made a whoopie pie (heck, I’ve never eaten one) but the pan certainly rocked the chocolate chip cookies. :)

Vicki – I can’t believe how great they worked in the pan. It may be come my main pan for chocolate chip cookies – they are such a great size and yes, moist! :) Thanks!

I love these cookies! I get ridiculously excited too when I find things like heart shaped pans :) I believe sprinkles make everything better! Great post!

Meghan, I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets ridiculously excited over heart pans and sprinkles! We could all go squeal at the baking supply store.

Omgosh, this is the EXACT pan I just bought on Saturday from Sur la Table for the same reason! I had seen the muffin top idea from Picky Palate and the Whoope Pie pan seemed just as ideal. I can’t wait to try it out!!

8. Jackie says

Hi

I love the whoppie pans too, but for me it will take a while for me to make 4 dozen cookies in that pan, because you have to wait for the pan to cool to put the next batch in, I think I will just stick to my cookie sheets where they can go in one right after the other. Where did you purchase the pretzel bags.

Jackie, it certainly did take a bit of extra time. Because the cookies were a bit bigger it made fewer than my recipe normally does. I did pick up a second pan so that next time I can get through them a bit quicker. With a ten month old crawling around, I have to move fast! :)

Jess, great minds think alike! I love the muffin top pan, but those are some monster cookies. These still make generous cookies, but a bit more realistic in size. Can’t wait to hear what you bake up!

Hi!
    I really like these cookies and I was wondering if I could make them 2-3 days in advance? Would it be okey and how should I store them?

I don’t have whoopie pie pan and I would make them in a muffin pan, do you think it would be appropriate?

Best wishes,
    Irina

Irina, I think you’d be okay a few days in advance. I have had great luck freezing cookies, so that may be an option. When I do that, I let them cool completely, than store them double bagged in Ziplock freezer bags. If I’m making large cookies, I’ll even wrap them in plastic wrap before putting them into the freezer. I think a muffin pan would work, but you could also do them on a regular cookie sheet. If you haven’t, check out my recipe for the Levain Bakery style chocolate chip cookies. They are crazy moist. I’ve had some in a ziplock bag on the countertop for almost five days and they are still super moist, so they might be a good bake ahead option. Good luck!

Don’t you just love using your whoopie pie pan this way!! Now I’m dying to try them with chocolate chip cookie dough!

Thanks for linking up!!

12. Trevor Hipp says

Hi There!
    Can you please tell me where you found the cut little bags to put your cookies in?

Thanks so so much!
    Regards,
    Trevor

Your “link within” brought me to this recipe. I love that you thought of making cookies with the whoopie pie pan. I had no idea there was a whoopie pie pan!! I’m so excited-I’ll be looking for one of this soon!

14. Stacey says

Michael’s Arts & Crafts has this pan and with a coupon=great deal!

I’m sold and can’t wait to bake these!

Thanks!

Elisa, I don’t know why not – I didn’t use any sort of special or altered recipe. It’s just a pan with a different shape – have some fun and experiment! :)

15. flattsfan96 says

Found this thru pinterest….These look soooo good. Ummm, I went out and bought the whoopie pan and the heart one…micheals and Joann’s both had 50% off coupons this weekend. Wanted to get a Christmas one, hoping its there next week when another coupon starts. :)

16. Marissa Kubinski says

Hi there. These cookies look delicioius! I don’t have a whoopie pan but i’m thinking of making these as normal sized cookies on a cookie sheet. Should I do anything different to do them? What about the baking powder?

17. Keri says

My son and I made these cookies yesterday for Valentine’s Day. They were delicious. We even added a few peanut butter chips. I couldn’t find the pan anywhere so I’m planning on ordering it online for future use. Thanks for the delicious recipe!!!

18. Sam says

I made these on Valentines day last week, they were perfect and a huge hit (kids and husband lovvveedd them)! But now I’ve tried making them twice since and instead they are coming put cakey. I don’t know why when I am following the recipe to a T. . Feeling depressed now =(

Sam, so the same recipe has come out different ways? Is the butter at a different state of melted (I’m sure there was a more technical way to ask that!). Sometimes that can be an issue. What about temperature (of the dough, the house… not the oven). Did you use the exact ingredients (as in a new container of baking soda, or fresh bag of flour). It’s odd to have the results vary, especially within a week (compared to say winter vs summer).

Nikki, yes, but feel free to cut back, it’s not a make or break recipe thing. I always go heavy on vanilla, but not like cutting back will ruin anything. :)

Angela, just from the grocery store around Valentine’s Day. This post is from 2011 however, so I’m not positive if this color combo is in their current line up. I know most candy stores sell M&M’s by the individual color as well.