Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks are crispy, juicy and packed full of flavor. With just a few simple ingredients and under ten minutes of prep time, this easy chicken recipe that’s made in an air fryer is sure to become a family favorite!
Reasons To Make Air Fryer Drumsticks
- They are quick and easy, with just a few minutes of prep. Most of the time it takes to make these is spent in the air fryer.
- Tender and juicy, with a delicious blend of spices, these picky eater approved chicken legs are sure to please the entire family.
- Making drumsticks in an air fryer means you can keep the oven off and your kitchen cool during the hot summer months.
- This chicken drumstick recipe is great with almost any side dish you want to pair it with. Pair it with with my KFC Coleslaw Recipe, Air Fryer Corn On The Cob and some Easy Mac And Cheese.
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
If you have an air fryer, you know what a great job they do at making delicious food, in a short amount of time. We use our air fryer for many things, we even reheat pizza in an air fryer! Air fryer pork tenderloin is a huge hit in my house. So it should come as no surprise that chicken legs in the air are absolutely fantastic.
After learning how to make drumsticks in the air fryer, you may never go back to using the oven or frying pan!
How Do You Make Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks?
Once you make these drumsticks a few times, you likely will not even need to back refer to the recipe, it’s that easy. That said, please come back and grab a side dish and dessert to go with them! My Air Fryer Baked Potato recipe is a great side with this, as is my Air Fryer Potato Wedges recipe!
Reminder, the full printable recipe, with exact measurements and instructions, is found at the bottom of the page. This portion of the post is for discussion, helpful tips and answering common questions about the recipe.
What You Will Need
- Chicken Drumsticks: Skin on drumsticks work best.
- Olive Oil: In a pinch you could use a canola or vegetable oil in it’s place.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder helps the skin crisp up on the drumsticks. Make sure you are using baking powder, not baking soda. If you aren’t sure what the difference is, read about it in my Baking Powder vs Baking Soda post.
- Seasonings: Pepper, Garlic Powder, Salt and Paprika.
Steps To Take
Begin by tossing your chicken drumsticks in olive oil, then combine your baking powder and seasonings in a separate bowl.
Next, toss the chicken legs with the baking powder and seasoning combo.
Brush the drumsticks with the remaining olive oil. Finally, place into the air fryer to cook. Flip the drumsticks after ten minutes.
Tips For Making Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Do not overcrowd your air fryer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may want to cook these in two batches of four drumsticks each.
- Make certain you use baking powder. Using baking soda by mistake is not the path to a delicious meal.
Can I use mixed chicken parts instead of just drumsticks? Yes, just be sure to leave the skin on. It will all be delicious! You can also try my Air Fryer Chicken Thighs recipe.
Should I wash my chicken before making it? According to the CDC, that’s a hard no. You run the risk of spreading germs throughout the kitchen.
Can I remove the skin before cooking the chicken? You can, however, the texture is especially nice if you leave the skin on since the crust is what gives you that extra crispness.
I’d like to double the recipe – any recommendations? This recipe is so easy to double, just be sure to double all of the ingredients. And you may have to cook the chicken in 2 batches, and it is best to cook the chicken in only one layer, not piled up.
I don’t have an air fryer, but really want to try this recipe. Could I bake it in the oven? Yes, bake this recipe at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes.
More Great Recipes To Try
If you enjoyed this recipe, I have more great recipes for you to try. Check out all of my Air Fryer Recipes!
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Breaded Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Homemade Shake and Bake Chicken
- Crockpot Baked Beans
- Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad
- Crock Pot Masked Potatoes
- Homemade Dinner Roles
- Jiffy Cornbread
- Old Fashioned Potato Salad
- Broccoli Casserole With Ritz Crackers
- Green Beans Almondine
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Air Fryer
- 8 chicken drumsticks skin on
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper can increase if desired
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- Using 1 tbsp of olive oil, coat the chicken drumsticks with oil.
- Mix baking powder, pepper, garlic powder, salt and paprika in a separate bowl. Toss the chicken legs with the seasoning. Brush remaining olive oil over the top of drumsticks.
- Place drumsticks into air fryer, making sure not to crowd them, and cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Flip drumsticks and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.