Peanut Butter Ball Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes
With Peanut Butter Buttercream

We are huge peanut butter lovers in this house, but you don’t see a ton of peanut butter recipes on here because our daughter has a nut allergy.   We still eat it, but I don’t bake with it that often, which is a shame because it’ SO good.  Buckeye Balls.  Peanut Butter Cups.  Chocolate + Peanut Butter.  It’s such a wonderful amazing perfect combo.   Every now and then I give in and whip something up…

Something like chocolate cupcakes with a buckeye ball type filling and peanut butter buttercream frosting.

Yeah, these are mind blowingly delicious.

I originally wasn’t planning to share these on the website for a few reasons…  By no means is this an original idea, I’ve seen many people put peanut butter / Buckeye balls in cupcakes, so I take no credit for the idea.  I made them late at night, which makes for lousy photos.  I was baking them for a friend’s birthday, working quickly, with no time to set up for pictures and what not.   But after sharing a few pics on Instagram, I realized that I had to share these.    This is really more of an “idea” than it is a “recipe”.   So some of the “in progress” pics are from my phone and not my camera, but you’ll still get the idea.

I started by making my peanut butter balls – the same ones I make when I make Buckeye Balls (quite possibly one of the greatest things EVER).  There are SO many versions of peanut butter balls.   I used the filling recipe at A Hen’s Nest for my peanut butter balls.  (IF YOU WANT A QUICK CHEAT, USE A PB CUP OR GRAB SOME OF THOSE EASTER PB EGGS THAT ARE AVAILABLE – THEY WOULD PROBABLY WORK JUST FINE!)  After making 24 of them, I put them in the freezer and made my cupcakes.   For the cupcakes I used a good old box Devil’s Food cake mix.   After preparing according to the package directions, I put a bit of cake batter in the bottom of each of my cupcake liners, and then added my peanut butter balls.

Next I covered the peanut butter balls in the remaining batter and baked according to the directions on the cake mix box.   I was a little worried as to how the peanut butter balls would survive in the oven but a quick check after they were done revealed that they held their form wonderfully.  Yay!

Seriously you could just stop right here and call it good.  They are delish.  Adding a peanut butter buttercream just takes them completely over the top, in a very good way.   Much like peanut butter balls, there are many different recipes for peanut butter buttercream to pick from.   Many have cream cheese, but since I was not going to be keeping these in the fridge, I decided to go a non-cream cheese route.   I rarely follow an actual recipe when it comes to frosting, but it breaks down like this…

Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting

• 3/4 cup butter at room temp
  • 1/4 cup shortening (Crisco) (or for people like my friend Risa who hate shortening, just add more butter!)
  • 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 4 – 5 cups powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl combine your butter, shortening, peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.   Add in your powdered sugar, starting with four cups.   Add about 1/4 cup of your whipping cream, combine well with mixer and switch to a high speed to beat until fluffy.   You can play with the amounts of powdered sugar and whipping cream to get the exact texture and consistency that you want.

Then simply frost your cupcakes.  You can pipe it on.  Use a spatula.  Even just get a spoon and eat the frosting straight from the bowl – it’s not like there are frosting laws you have to follow (at least not that I’m aware of and if there are, ignorance is bliss).    Top them however you like.  Ever since seeing Kristan’s brilliant idea of using mini peanut butter cups as cupcake cupcake toppers over on Confessions Of A Cookbook Queen, I have been wanting to do something similar.

If you like peanut butter and chocolate, you must make these.   If you are one of the many families who always make Buckeye Balls during the holidays,  you must make these.  If however you are allergic to peanut butter and would have to chase it down with epinephrine, do not make these.   I’ve been challenged by my daughter to come up with a similar not lethal version of these for her, which I will share if I am successful at it.

Just to clarify – while my daughter does have a nut allergy, she is technically allergic to tree nuts (though we avoid peanuts as well, just to be safe).  She has no issues whatsoever with nuts around her, so rest assured I’m not risking a trip to the ER to have some cupcakes!

Want to package up some to give away?   One of my favorite ways to package up single cupcakes is to put them in a small clear plastic cup, put the cup in a bag, tie with a ribbon and call it good.  SO simple, and makes transport a breeze.

Enjoy!

Want some more peanut butter and chocolate recipes?  You must check out the Chocolate and Peanut Butter Bites From Other Blogs!

Comments

WOW.

These look delicious and like something my son would LOVE! Maybe I’ll make these for his birthday get together with some of his friends (no nut allergies in that group).

Have you tried pea butter as a PB replacement in these?

2. Briana says

I came across this on Pinterest and can’t wait to try this. It will have to wait, as my cousin will be with me and also has an allergy to nuts – though hers is severe enough that these would include a trip to the hospital, unfortunately. I also came across a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough + Cupcake, which is on allrecipes.com and very similar to what you have listed here. I suspect this would be a good alternative for your daughter. Here is the link, just in case: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Dough–Cupcake–The-BEST-Cupcake-Ever/Detail.aspx?src=ShareThis Hope this helps your daughter enjoy this deliciousness!

Thanks Briana, I think that is an excellent nut free option. The one other thing I was thinking of is the Biscoff Spread that is nut free but has the consistency of peanut butter. Maybe we should make ALL of the options, just to check? :)

And I’m sure you’ve already thought of it, but what about just using sunflower seed butter, making that into buckeye balls and then also using the SFSButter for the frosting, obviously you will need to adjust the measurements a smidge since SFSButter tends to be runnier than PB but that may be a starting point.

Or just use cookie butter/Biscoff spread from TJs for everything!

4. Eldonna says

To be way over the top for real, make small buckeyes to put on top instead of the Reese’s Cup. A layer of ganache first, then the peanut butter frosting would also be excellent!

5. heidi says

omg,just kill me now! But what a way to die-peanutchocolatey death,oh and by the way,no allergy here,just dying of desire to swallow it whole!!! Love this recipe,thx for sharing,can hardly wait to try it

6. Heather says

This recipe sounds amazing and I can’t wait to try it. Just a quick question about the frosting, can you make it without the heavy whipping cream? Myself and my sister are lactose intolerant but we love the idea of Peanut Butter Buttercream. Thanks!

Heather, yes, you absolutely can. You will probably need to add some liquid (Lactaid milk). I love whipping cream in frosting, but often just use milk as it’s what I have on hand. :)

These are incredible. I have been meaning to make something similar for awhile but for some reason keep getting sidetracked.

8. Niamh says

These look amazing and I can’t wait to make them for my 5 year old birthday. He is going to love them! I have a quick question, in the ingredients for the buttercream you list 3/4 butter. Is that 3/4 a stick or a cup?

9. Lisa Frank says

These look AMAZING! I just *had* to think of an excuse to make them, so here it is…Teacher Appreciation week is May 7-11, so my daughter’s teacher and the school staff will be receiving big trays of both these cupcakes and your Oreo truffle version, packaged in cups and cute bags just like you showed. I’m so excited! I was a teacher for 10 years before I had kids, so I know how appreciated these delicious treats will be. :)

10. Bette says

Clever idea for packaging individual cupcakes, but how do you get them out of the cup without getting icing all over your fingers?

11. Nikki says

Hi! This recipe was amazing and i followed the recipe for the peanut butter balls you suggested. Taste was amazing but my peanut butter balls melted to the bottom. Do you have any suggestions how to stop this? Thanks! Nikki :-)

Nikki, I find different peanut butters can really change the outcome, and that the more “natural” ones that I like to eat don’t do very well so I usually stick with a Jif or Skippy type. You might want to up the dry ingredients in the pb balls and make sure you freeze them prior to baking. But all peanut butters certainly don’t react the same ways, so don’t be afraid to add in more powdered sugar. I actually prefer to make my pb balls on the dry side. :) Hope that helps.

12. shelley says

My nephew is allergic to nuts too, severely like you touch it and him we are going to the ER. and he loves his tahini sandwiches. its sunflower oil i believe, but it has the same consistency as peanut butter.

13. Amanda says

Just wanted to let you know of an alternative to PB. We were shopping at Costco and came across a demonstrator sharing WOW BUTTER. I had seen it before but with the price, I just kept going. My son was with me and decided to try it. He LOVED it. His school is a peanut free school so we have been looking at alternatives to PB. We found some called PEABUTTER, but it had an aftertaste that my son didn’t like. If it is at all possible, WOW BUTTER tastes BETTER than PB. Or, at least I think so… THe price for I think it was 2Kg was $13 something. But now, he can have yummy tasting PB and J sandwiches for lunch at school without harm to others. Try it! Your daughter will LOVE it! :)
    Hope this helps!

Amanda – thank you! Do you have any idea what it is made of? I could look it up. PB is such a great ingredient and I miss using it more often. I would love to find an alternative that isn’t insanely ridiculous. I always feel so bad for those with many allergies like dairy, gluten, soy – eating must cost so much, there are lots of alternatives but they all seem to have quite a price attached to them. I will look for it, thanks for the tip!

14. Anna says

Quick question… how early in advance could you make the cupcakes? I saw your recipe and would love to try and make them for a bridal shower; however, I’m terrified of making the day of in case I screw them up! :) Any chances, one might be able to make them a day ahead and would they still taste good? I’m new to the entire cupcake baking world! :) Thanks! Also, thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

15. Kathie vanderaa says

Just what I was looking for and the presentation is beautiful!
    But where is the PRINT button for this recipe?
    Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Hi Kathie, sorry, I did not a print option a few years ago when this was written. What I often do myself in cases like that is just highlight the text I want, copy it and paste into a word doc to print. I’ve been trying to update the old recipes with printable versions, but it’s a slow going process.

16. Becky says

My daughter also has both a peanut and tree nut allergy. We use Sunbutter as a peanut butter substitute. It is made from sunflower seeds and we love it. It looks like PB and has the same consistency. I have used it to replace the PB in the no-bake cookies (a.k.a. preacher cookies) and it turned out great. Will have to try this one too!

These look amazing. They satisfy my hubby’s requirement that dessert isn’t dessert unless there’s peanut butter and chocolate involved. They appeal to my love for cupcakes. Saving recipe to make sometime soon, really soon.

18. Patti says

I made these chocolate peanut butter cupcakes for a baby shower. Everyone LOVED them but I was disappointed because when you cut into them there was an air pocket between the buckeye and the chocolate cake. I followed directions freezing the PB. Just wondering what could have happened?? Advice?

Patti, hmm, I haven’t had that happen. The only thing I could think of is if there was maybe a bit too much air mixed into the cake batter. There are a lot of factors when baking something that rises like a cake, from the temp of the oven to the temp of the ingredients, to the altitude and outside air, and how much air is incorporated into the batter. If you make them again, I would try a little less mixing. Glad to hear everyone loved them though!

1. [...] Peanut Butter Ball Chocolate Cupcakes With Peanut Butter … Buckeye Balls. Peanut Butter Cups. Chocolate + Peanut Butter. It's such a wonderful amazing perfect combo. Every now and then I give in and whip something up… Something like chocolate cupcakes with a buckeye ball type . [...]