Oreo Truffle Stuffed Cupcakes With Cookies & Cream Frosting

After making cupcakes stuffed with peanut butter balls this weekend, I had to come up with a nut free version for my nut allergy kiddo, who was feeling all kinds of left out of the stuffed cupcake enjoyment.   Since we love making cupcake pops with the Oreo Truffle recipe, I figured I would try that.

Worked like a charm!

To make these, you will first want to make your Oreo Truffles.  Follow the directions from this post – it’s super easy – basically just cream cheese and crushed Oreos (you can use a food processor or just put your Oreos in a big Ziploc and go at them with a rolling pin).

For 24 cupcakes, I’d use an entire regular size bag of Oreos and about 3/4 to a whole 8oz block of regular cream cheese, and you should be able to get 24 one inch size truffles.   Once you have them shaped into balls, put them in the freezer.   You won’t be needing to shape them into cupcakes or dip them into chocolate, so at this point they are good to go, just freeze those babies.  I would say make sure to leave them in the freezer at least 20 minutes – the freezing will help them hold their shape while you bake your cupcakes.

Next make up your cake.   You could really use any kind you like.  I used a Duncan Hines French Vanilla (one of my favorite vanilla cake mixes).   Prepare according to the package directions.   When you are ready to fill your cupcake liners, put a bit of the batter in each cupcake liner – enough to cover the bottom.  Then add in your Oreo truffle balls.

And cover with your remaining batter.   Bake according to the package directions.

After they have cooled you can get ready to frost.  I used a basic buttercream recipe and added crushed Oreos to the frosting.

You could certainly use a premade canned frosting for this.  Just add in some crushed Oreos and stir.   A chocolate would be delish as well.   All that is left is to frost and enjoy.    Looks like a regular cupcake…

But surprise!  Oreo truffle hiding inside.   Yummmmmy.

I’m totally loving this stuffed cupcake thing.   Brainstorming all sorts of fun versions!   If you love the Cookies & Cream combo, make sure to check out the Cookies & Cream Bites From Other Blogs for lots of great recipe ideas!

Comments

1. Danae says

Hey, I once made red velvet cupcakes with pie-filling cherries. Follow instructions for red velvet cake mix, and pour just like you did with these, only add 2-3 cherries into it… then you frost with homemade cream cheese frosting. When I made it, the frosting was a bit runny, but then hardened. Before it hardens, but 2-3 more cherries on top. Bake them in the foil cupcake cups to hold it all together better. It’s absolutely delicious, and you may need a fork!

2. Samantha says

I have a question about the Oreo ball on the inside.. I’m not a huge cream cheese fan, can you taste the cream cheese or is there something that I could substitute it for?

I don’t think you taste the cream cheese, but you could probably use frosting in it’s place, or even half cream cheese half frosting.

This is a great idea! I never though of putting a truffle in a cupcake, and you couldn’t have picked a better combo! Thanks for sharing

I totally made these last (Friday) night. They were so much fun to make and taste simply delicious. The people I’ve shared them with so far adore them. Thank you for sharing!

I soooooo love all the recipes with Oreos, but I’ve got a question. Here in The Netherlands they sell different sized packages of Oreos.. And we can’t really figure out what the regular size bag is in the USA. Can you tell me what the weight is..?

Thanks so much!

6. Kristi says

Once they are done baking do they need to be put into the fridge since the truffles have cream cheese in them or will they be ok sitting out for a few hours before serving??

7. Ashley says

I have a question. Do I leave the icing in the Oreos when I smash them to make the balls of filling? Or do I scrape it out and just smash the cookies? Thank you for your help! :)

8. Brooke says

I just made these cupcakes last night. They are AMAZING. Very sweet, perfect for people like me and my family who could live off of sweet treats! Thanks for the recipe!

Robyn, normally I do keep cream cheese items in the fridge, but was a bit more relaxed with these since they were baked. That said, they were also gone too quickly to really worry about it. I would likely keep them in the fridge, which I do with most of my cupcakes just to keep them fresh. :)

Omgosh! I am going to make these!!! Look so delicious and easy. I have tried the oreo stuffed cookies before, but this takes it to the next level, lol. My boyfriend will be very one happy camper! =)

Also I love your header, the colors, font, and the pictures, especially the one of you and your daughters! Take care!

10. Sarah says

These look great! Can’t wait to try them. Quick question – do you think you
    could make in advance and freeze them (minus the icing on top)? Has anyone tried this?
    Thanks so much!

11. Cheryl says

These cupcakes are amazing!!!! This time I made them with the buttercream frosting (which is delicious) but it can out very thin and wouldn’t hold the cookie up! Do you know how I can get my buttercream frosting to be thicker?

12. Rita says

ok so…the frosting was AMAZING but my cake balls cooked??? I froze them overnight and they still cooked? It was like a dry ball in the center. What did I do wrong? Were yours moist on the inside?

Rita, yes, mine were still like truffles on the inside. You said cake balls, where they the Oreo Truffles (cream cheese and Oreos?). The only thing I could think of is that you needed more cream cheese in them. They should be pretty moist, to the point of sticky, when you make them. They are a consistency that has me washing my hands every few balls, because they are pretty darn messy.

13. PBnJFam says

Question… I tried putting oreo truffles into my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe and it didn’t quite work… My oreo truffles ended up very dry and crumbly in the middle of the cupcake – instead of a delicious surprise it was like biting into a crumbly bite of dry cake in the middle :( What do you think might have gone wrong? The cupcakes were not over baked and stayed moist…

PBnJFam – my first thought is that the truffles themselves may have been too dry. I would probably up the cream cheese (I’ve also found some cream cheeses seem to have a higher moisture content – I think even the freshness of the cream cheese can make a difference) and sometimes you have to adjust to get the right consistency versus using “x” amount. You’d probably want them pretty sticky/moist. Hope that helps!

14. Bonnie says

Silly question. I’m trying to figure out how many oreos I need….is it one whole package for the oreo truffles? If yes, how many do I need to mix in with the icing? Thank you!

Bonnie, it will depend a lot on how big you make the truffles, how much Oreo you want in your frosting – both of those are going to be a “to your taste” versus a specific amount. That said, I’d say you want about 6-10 cookies for the frosting and use the rest for the truffles. :)

Lovely Girl, I’d say maybe a day or so in the fridge, but this is one you probably want to try and share within 24 hours of making them. :)

15. Mawaheb Mohamed says

Thank you so much for this recipe.. I made the cupcakes last week and they were a hit with everyone..

The cupcakes are moist and the frosting is fluffy.. an absolute delight :)

This recipe is now in my binder!

16. Juliet says

Thank you for sharing your recipe Oreo truffle cupcake .I will give it a try this weekend.
    Thank you so much.