I love a good brownie, and I really love a good caramel brownie. A warm, chocolatey, messy, gooey brownie, full of caramel, melting chocolate and topped with ice cream. The kind of brownie that, at least for me, is usually a mess to make, and if my kids are involved, always a mess to eat!
Oh yeah, THAT kind of brownie.
These aren’t just packed with caramel, they are also topped with chocolate chips. Kind of going with “more is more”.
For these brownies you can either start with a from scratch brownie recipe, or go with a box mix. I LOVE to doctor up a box mix, so that’s what I did with these. I used a few different kinds of caramel in these. I stirred about 1/2 cup of caramel ice cream sundae topping right into my brownie mix. After placing a layer of brownie batter on the bottom of my pan, I poured in a layer of melted caramels. After removing them from the oven, I drizzled some caramel sauce over the top. And of course if you are serving them with ice cream, a little caramel sauce to finish it off is perfect.
To make this from scratch, try my EASY BROWNIES recipe instead of a box mix!
- One package 8x8 or 9x9 pan size chocolate brownies (or your favorite brownie recipe)
- Ingredients listed on brownie package
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 11 oz bag Kraft Caramel Bits
- 2 TBSP water or half and half
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Optional Extra caramel ice cream topping
- Optional Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven according to brownie package (or recipe) directions and prepare baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare brownies according to package (or recipe) directions. After batter is mixed, stir in 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping. Spread a thin layer of brownie batter into the bottom of baking pan.
- Prepare caramel bits by placing caramel bits in medium saucepan. Add water; cook on medium-low heat 3 min. or until caramel bits are completely melted, stirring constantly. Pour over brownie batter spread into pan. Top with remaining brownie batter and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake according to package directions. You may need to extend baking time by 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven, and drizzle on additional caramel ice cream topping if desired. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired. Serve warm or cooled. For more caramel flavor, drizzle with caramel sauce just before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.