This delicious and easy Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake only requires three ingredients to make! No mixing or measuring needed, this cake is made directly in the pan it’s baked in. Top it with a scoop of ice cream for the ultimate indulgence.
Reasons To Make This Cake:
- The combination of chocolate and cherries is irresistible.
- It takes only 5-10 minutes to get this cake into the oven.
- Easy clean up – no bowls or measuring cups are even needed.
- Your friends and family will rave about this delicious dessert.
Chocolate Dump Cake Recipe
Dump cake truly is the easiest cake you can make. When you need a quick dessert, it simply can’t be beat. Another thing I love about dump cakes is that they are great to make with kids. They really are a perfect recipe for baking with kids.
While this cake brings together chocolate cake mix and cherries, dump cakes are incredibly flexible. You can swap out blueberries for cherries, or replace your chocolate cake mix with yellow cake mix. Feel free to mix and match ingredients as you see fit. You can also check out my Blueberry Dump Cake and Peach Dump Cake recipes.
How Do You Make A Dump Cake?
It probably takes more time to gather your ingredients than it does to actually make this cake! You start with your 13″ x 9″ pan. Your fruit filling goes into the pan, and the dry cake mix is then sprinkles over the filling. After that small pats of butter cover that dry cake mix. Some people melt their butter, some people slice their butter into small pats. Honestly you can go either direction, the goal is just to cover your cake mix fully with butter. The result is really delicious.
One thing to keep in mind with a dump cake is that it’s not a slice and bake cake. It’s a bit more of a scoop out and place in a bowl. And while all desserts are pretty, these cakes don’t really win any beauty contests. If you want a sliceable cake or one that gets oohs and ahhs for how pretty it looks, may I suggest going with this Hershey’s Chocolate Cake recipe. Dump cakes are ALL about the flavor. It’s what inside that counts, right?
Do You Make The Cake Mix First?
The question I’m often asked when it comes to dump cakes is “do I make the cake according to the recipe on the box first?”. No! Ignore the directions on the box, you just want to sprinkle the dry cake mix over the filling.
How to Serve
You can serve this cake warm or cold, and I think it really shines when topped with a scoop of ice cream. If you are feeling very extra, add in some hot fudge sauce as well!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Don’t hesitate to comment or email me if you have any questions. Thanks for reading!
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter cut into thin, small pats
- 2 21 oz cans cherry pie filling make sure to give a quick check for pits
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Dump both cans of pie filling into the pan and spread it evenly so that no part of the bottom of the pan is visible. Sprinkle the dry chocolate cake mix over the cherries, covering them evenly.
- Add the butter in pats to cover the cake mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the cherry filling is bubbling around the edges. Serve warm on its own or with a scoop of ice cream and hot fudge sauce. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.