Coconut Pecan Frosting just might be the star of the show when it comes to German Chocolate Cake. This irresistible frosting is packed full of coconut and pecans in buttery caramel base. If you have never made German Chocolate Cake Frosting from scratch, you are in for a treat.
Coconut Pecan Frosting
Growing up I was never a big fan of German Chocolate Cake, primarily because the store-bought canned German Chocolate Cake Frosting left a lot to be desired. Well it turns out that homemade Coconut Pecan Frosting is like an entirely different food all-together.
This incredible frosting is now one of my all time favorites, and I can’t wait for you to try it! While this frosting is intended to top a cake, you might just find yourself eating it straight from the spoon! Spoonfuls aside, it’s perfect for both my Baker’s German Chocolate Cake and my German Chocolate Cupcakes. It’s also divine slathered over a pan of brownies.
How To Make German Chocolate Cake Frosting
While the taste is spectacular, the steps to making this frosting are simple. Here’s what you’ll need, and how you’ll make this easy icing recipe. What’s shared here is for discussion purposes, the printable recipe card, with exact amounts and discussions, is found at the bottom of this post.
Coconut Pecan Frosting Ingredients
- Egg Yolks: Make sure you are using large eggs. While you can separate yolks by hand, some people like a little help. I recommend this egg yolk separator.
- Evaporated Milk: Take note that you want EVAPORATED milk, not sweetened condensed milk.
- Vanilla Extract: Pure vanilla extract is always the way to go.
- Sugar: Just your run of the mill, granulated white sugar.
- Butter: While some people might use margarine, I do not recommend it. Stick with butter, your tastebuds will thank you.
- Chopped Pecans: These can be salted or un-salted. I love a sweet and salty combo, thus go with salted.
- Sweetened Coconut Flakes: Go with a sweetened coconut flake here. That is how I have always made this recipe, and I can’t speak to the result with unsweetened coconut flakes.
Steps To Make German Chocolate Frosting
- Start by whisking together egg yolks, evaporated milk and vanilla in a large saucepan until well blended.
- Next, add sugar and butter and cook until thickened and golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Finally, add in coconut flakes and pecans. Mix well and allow to cool prior to spreading.
I hope that your family enjoys this incredible coconut pecan frosting as much as mine does. If you find yourself eating it by the spoonful, there’s no shame, we’ve all been there.
If you love these flavors, you’ll want to try my Pecan Pie Brownies as well!
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 12oz can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Beat egg yolks, milk and vanilla in large saucepan with whisk until well blended. Add sugar and butter; cook on medium heat 12 min. or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add coconut and nuts; mix well.
- Cool to desired consistency prior to frosting.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.