Have you made donuts at home? If you haven’t, put it on your to do list! Don’t worry, no frying is needed. I don’t fry. I think I may have an actual phobia of frying foods at home. Some of you may recall my exploding fried churros I shared recently on Instagram (can you say epic fail?). Am I the only one fearful of frying? Is there a name for that? Fryphobia? I think that is too simple, and that could be a fear of eating fried foods, which given my love of, well, fries, clearly I do not have. But frying foods? No thank you. I’d rather rather have a root canal, on a plane, while surrounded by wasps. Okay, maybe I won’t go that far. What we we talking about? Oh, right, DONUTS! Delicious and easy to make donuts!
Not only are these donuts not fried, but white flour is replaced with whole wheat, and some of the fat is replaced with Greek yogurt, making it very easy to say “okay!” to these at the start of the day. I adapted this recipe from Buns In My Oven’s Glazed Chocolate Donut Recipe, and was thrilled with how it turned out. While I used my donut pan for these, the batter is fairly thick and you most likely could actually pipe it into donut shapes right onto a baking sheet. It may not be the prettiest, but it will probably still taste great.
Very simple ingredients for these babies…
As I do in most of my chocolate recipes, I use a dark cocoa powder (Hershey’s Special Dark). We are dark chocolate lovers and I think it helps give more of a richness, especially in recipes where you are taking out some fat and switching to whole wheat. To make these you simply combine your ingredients, put them into a piping bag (and by piping bag in this case I just mean a freezer style plastic bag). Funny thing, kids seem really eager to help when you are making donuts. 🙂
After baking you can glaze them in a simple milk. vanilla and powdered sugar glaze, this really helps keep them moist and adds just the prefect amount of sweetness. You could also frost them if you are so inclined.
That’s it. So simple and such a delicious way to start the day.
Chocolate Donuts Made With Whole Wheat And Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder preferably dark
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt preferably vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips optional
- 1/4 cup milk I used 1%
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
To Make Your Donuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your while whole wheat flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine vanilla, egg, Greek yogurt, milk and oil.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, as well as chocolate chips if using, and mix until just combined.
- Transfer batter into a large freezer style bag (or piping bag). Batter will be thick.
- Pipe your batter into a greased donut pan.
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes until the tops of donuts spring back when touched.
To Make Your Glaze
- Combine milk, vanilla and powdered sugar and whisk or stir well until combined. After donuts have cooled slightly, dip each donut into your glaze, then transfer to a wire rack with a baking sheet or wax paper underneath, as donuts will drip off excess glaze. Enjoy!
Looking for another yummy way to enjoy donuts? I highly recommend warm donut holes with chocolate and caramel dipping sauce. A bit more of a desert than a breakfast, oh me oh my, they are divine!