Sometimes as bloggers we bake up some pretty crazy over the top things that are a lot of fun. Sometimes however you just need a simple, basic recipe that is tasty, easy to make and can be thrown together in no time. Nothing too fancy, nothing terribly exciting, but a really delicious way to start the day. Today’s recipe is one of those simple kind of recipes. Just a good old fashioned pumpkin bread recipe.
I’ve always loved pumpkin bread. I really think it should be a year round item. Getting up on a Monday morning is a little bit easier when I know I have a fresh loaf of pumpkin bread ready to be heated up and sliced.
I do make a few very simple changes to traditional pumpkin bread recipes when I make mine. I remember making pumpkin bread when I was younger, and always being a bit horrified at the full cup of oil most recipes called for. Thankfully you can do away with a lot of oil and I’ve always found applesauce to be a great substitution for some of the oil. You don’t get quite the same super duper moist texture because, well, the cup of oil was a big factor in that. But you do still get a moist and delicious bread, and I’d happily give up some oil to spread a little butter on my warm bread any day.
I also use white whole wheat flour in my pumpkin bread, and almost every bread, muffin and even cookie recipe I make. White whole wheat packs the nutritional punch of whole wheat flour, but has a lighter taste and texture. I use white whole wheat flour in place of all purpose flour all the time. If you’ve never tried it, it’s definitely something to check out. For this recipe however, feel free to use all purpose flour if that’s what you have on hand. The last little change I make to my bread is that I sprinkle a bit of coarse crystal sugar, mixed with cinnamon, to the top before I bake it. You can totally skip this part, it just gives a nice little crunch on top if you have it.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 15 ounce pumpkin puree
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons crystal sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine your brown sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla and applesauce until well mixed. Add in water, mix until well combined. Add in pumpkin puree, mix well. Add in dry ingredients and stir until just combined, do not over mix.
- Spray a standard size loaf pan with non stick cooking spray. Pour mixture into pan.
- Combine crystal sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle over top of mixture in pan.
- Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Wrap with plastic wrap or foil once cooled if not eating right away.
Enjoy! I love to eat mine warmed up in the microwave with a bit of butter – such a lovely way to start off a cool fall morning!