I have a fun holiday treat for you using two of my favorite things – chocolate and PEEPS! I created this recipe for the folks over at PEEPS using their holiday PEEPS products.
All your ingredients get prepared ahead of time, making this a great item to sit out at parties (hot cocoa station anyone) or you could wrap these up as super cute edible gifts. Just add a warm cup of milk and you are ready for a delicious cup of hot chocolate.
Hot Chocolate & Marshmallow PEEPS On A Stick
- 8 ounces semi-sweet milk or dark chocolate finely chopped
- ½ cup powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ cup cocoa powder sifted
- pinch of salt
- 8 Marshmallow PEEPS® of your choice
- ½ cup crushed candy canes optional
- 8 sticks straws or spoons
- Large zipper style freezer bag
- Ice cube tray or mini muffin pan
- 1. In a large bowl combine powdered sugar, cocoa powder and pinch of salt. Set aside.
- 2. If desired, sprinkle crushed candy canes in the bottom of your muffin pan or ice cube tray.
- 3. Prepare your sticks, straws or spoons by sliding a PEEPS® marshmallow peppermint star onto them, leaving about 1/2" to 1" of room at the bottom for your chocolate. Set aside.
- 4. Add chopped chocolate to a medium size microwave safe bowl (make sure that bowl is completely dry first, water and chocolate melting do not mix).
- 5. Microwave chocolate at 50% power for 30 seconds at a time, stirring well after each 30 seconds.
- 6. Once chocolate is almost melted, remove from microwave and continue to stir well until chocolate melts completely.
- 7. Add melted chocolate to your dry ingredients. Mix well.
- 8. The mixture will be extremely thick and appear grainy.
- 9. Once mixed, spoon the mixture into a large freezer size zipper style bag.
- 10. Squeeze chocolate into eight compartments.
- 11. Stick spoons, sticks or spoons into the chocolate (chocolate is thick enough that these should stand on their own).
- 12. Place in fridge to allow chocolate to set. This can also be done on the countertop, but will take longer.
- 13. Once completely dry, pop out of your ice cube tray or mini muffin pan.
- 14. Wrap in plastic wrap or bags to store.
- To use:
- 1. heat up one 8oz cup of milk per person.
- 2. Once heated, add the hot cocoa stick and stir.
- 3. It will take several minutes to dissolve and then you can enjoy your hot cocoa and Marshmallow PEEPS®.
- Tip: Use PEEPS® snowmen in lieu of peppermint stars.
Head over to the PEEPS website for the complete recipe!