I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream… ice cream cupcakes! These cupcakes bring the fantastic pairing of cake and ice cream into one delicious dessert. Ice cream cupcakes start with a base of cake, followed by ice cream and topped with whipped cream. These darling treats are perfect for summer parties and get togethers.
To make these fun ice cream cupcakes, I use a small batch of cupcakes. Each cupcake liner is only filled with about a tablespoon of cupcake batter, so you get almost three of these ice cream cupcakes for each standard sized cupcakes. This small batch version of cake mix cupcakes allows you to make approximately 18 ice cream cupcakes.
For these cupcakes, I simply use a cake mix, it’s quick, it’s easy, and for this combo it works great. You can absolutely use your favorite homemade recipe as well! The biggest difference when making these cupcakes is to remember that you are only putting about one tablespoon of cake mix into your cupcake liners, you do NOT want the cake to fill up the cupcake liner while baking, just create a nice little base at the bottom.
When I make a small batch of cupcakes, I prefer to use a hand mixer to my stand mixer. I always find the stand mixer seems a bit challenged with small recipes, it’s harder to get everything combined. So for this, the hand mixer is great, or even just mix it up by hand.
Ice Cream Cupcakes
- 1 cup dry cake mix
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp . vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
Ice Cream Cupcakes:
- 2 quarts ice cream of choice.
- Whipped cream if desired.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Add cupcake liners to cupcake pans.
- Combine cake ingredients and mix with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Scoop mixture into cupcake liners. Remember, only about 1 tablespoon per cupcake!
- Bake for approximately 7-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool COMPLETELY prior to topping with ice cream.
- To create ice cream cupcakes, remove ice cream from freezer and allow to soften. Top each cupcake with approximately 2-3 tablespoons of softened ice cream (this may vary based on how much your cupcake batter rose in your liners). Once all cupcakes are topped with ice cream, place cupcakes in the freezer for 8+ hours. When ready to serve, remove from freezer, top with whipped cream if desired, garnish with sprinkles or candies and serve immediately.