Quick, easy and delicious, these red, white and blue bars can be whipped up in minutes!
I can’t believe June is almost over. I’m really enjoying the break from school and our typical schedule, and the slower pace that summer brings. Sure it’s 120 degrees here in Phoenix, but if it means no homework, backpacks to unpack, lunch boxes to pack, I’ll take it. But my pesky calendar says July is knocking on the door, so I guess we should bake some red, white and blue treats and let it in.
These Red, White And Blue Bars are ridiculously easy. Seriously. You need a bowl, a spoon and a 13×9 pan. You don’t even need a measuring cup. They start with a cake mix, which is what keeps them super simple. If you want to go completely from scratch, this recipe looks like a great option. I would say these are more like a bar cookie than a cake.
My oldest daughter loves all things red velvet, and while you can never go wrong with a red velvet cake, these are fun alternative and a great time saver.
I found these cute red, white and blue M&Ms at Target. What would I do without seasonal M&Ms? Such a quick way to add a great pop of color to your treats.
So, to make these you are going to combine your cake mix, 1/2 cup of butter, melted (one standard size stick) and two eggs. That’s it! Add in your M&Ms, pop in the oven for about 20 minutes and you are good to go. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.
You can leave out the M&Ms if you like, use a different color or replace them with something else. Chocolate chips or white chocolate chips would both be great.
Slice them up and they are ready to serve. While I love frosting, I find that bars like these are often less messy and easier to transport to summer parties or events, at least if we are using my youngest as an example. But if you want to frost these, do it, I’m not the boss of you.
Red, White And Blue Bars
- 1 oz standard size Red Velvet Cake Mix I used Duncan Hines 16.5
- 1/2 cup butter melted (1 standard size stick)
- 2 eggs
- 1 M bag Red White & Blue &Ms candies (other varieties can be used as well, or you can omit)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 13x9 baking pan with foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine cake mix, eggs and melted butter and stir until well combined. Mix in 1/2 of your M&Ms candies.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and press lightly with fingers to fill pan with your dough. Sprinkle remaining M&Ms candies on top.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, you don't want to over bake or they will dry out.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, slice and serve!
Now let’s all get ready for July and enjoy some red velvet cookie bars!