I have a super fun (not to mention easy) Red, White and Blue Flag Cake to share with you, the Wave Your Flag “Cake” from the folks at Kraft. A fun and summery twist on cake that is perfect to serve at your Fourth Of July parties, picnics or get togethers.
This cake brings together fresh strawberries and blueberries, ready made pound cake, JELL-O Gelatin and COOL WHIP Whipped Topping. While it’s simple to make, it is also beautiful and and makes for a gorgeous dessert presentation.
You start by layering your pound cake slices into a 13×9 inch pan.
After that you mix up your JELL-O Gelatin, then add some ice to the mixture to help quickly cool it to allow it to set. Once it is the right consistency, about that of unbeaten egg whites, you will add some of your strawberries and blueberries to the JELL-O, then pour the mixture over your pound cake slices.
Then into the fridge it goes to chill for at least four hours. Once it’s chilled, you spread your COOL WHIP Whipped topping on top, then use the remaining berries to create the look of a flag. So easy, and so pretty!
We could have used another row of strawberries on our cake, but I let the kids help me decorate and sometimes letting the kiddos take pride in their job well done is more important than perfection. 🙂
Wave Your Flag "Cake"
- 4 cups fresh strawberries divided
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 pkg. 3 oz. each JELL-O Gelatin, any red flavor
- Ice cubes
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 pkg. 12 oz. prepared pound cake, cut into 10 slices
- 1-1/3 cups blueberries divided
- 1 tub 8 oz. COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
- SLICE 1 cup strawberries; cut remaining strawberries in half.
- ADD boiling water to gelatin mixes in large bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add enough ice to cold water to measure 2 cups. Add to gelatin; stir until ice is melted. Refrigerate 5 min. or until slightly thickened. Meanwhile, cover bottom of 13x9-inch dish with cake slices.
- ADD sliced strawberries and 1 cup blueberries to thickened gelatin; stir gently. Spoon over cake. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- SPREAD COOL WHIP over dessert. Top with fruit to resemble the flag, using strawberries for the stripes and remaining blueberries for the stars.
Kraft has a number of great red, white and blue dessert options for the Fourth Of July. Here are some of my favorites…
Wave Your Flag Cheesecake
Check back next week to see how I serve up my cake!
Kraft Dessert Recipes are a sure-fire way to sweeten up summer get-togethers.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Kraft via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Kraft.