Can I tell you a secret. Before this weekend I had never, ever, made sweet potatoes from anything other than a can. Hanging head in shame. I grew up on the canned variety, so I just stuck with those. Little did I know how much I was missing out! As part of McCormick’s Seasonal Seven Program, McCormick asked if I would like to make their Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Cinnamon Pecan Crunch and share it with you. I am so glad I agreed, because these are delish!
McCormick’s Seasonal Seven Program focuses on those flavors that really make the holidays.… While we all enjoy many festive dishes during the holidays, trend data shows that just seven flavors provide the true taste for the most sought-after recipes. This Holiday, McCormick is calling them the “Seasonal Seven” – cinnamon, nutmeg, poultry seasoning, ginger, sage, vanilla, and peppermint. These spices, herbs and extracts are a true taste of the holidays, providing you with an unforgettable meal to celebrate festive occasions.
This Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Cinnamon Pecan Crunch recipe brings together cinnamon, ginger and vanilla, three great flavors. This ended up being very simple to make and I really was amazed at how flavorful the combination of fresh sweet potatoes and the cinnamon and ginger were in this dish. I started with my sweet potatoes which I peeled and chopped.
Then into a pan they went where they were topped with some butter and cranberries and sent into the oven.
While that was baking, I mixed up my topping of flour, brown sugar, McCormick Cinnamon & Ginger, butter and pecans. Yeah, good stuff!
The sweet potatoes came out of the oven and were topped with this mixture and went back in to finish baking.
And then out comes this yummy goodness.
Can I offer you a bite?
This would be such a great dish for any holiday meal. This would be fabulous along with some of McCormick’s other recipes that use the Seasonal Seven such as…
And for dessert, I can’t say enough about the Cinnamon Caramel Swirl Bar recipe from McCormick. LOVE these!
You can find more great flavor inspiration over on McCormick’s Seasonal Seven Flavor Board on Pinterest. Here is the recipe for the Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Cinnamon Pecan Crunch. If you haven’t made sweet potatoes from scratch before (like myself!), give this recipe a try, it’s very simple and so delicious.
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar divided
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Cinnamon Ground, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Ginger Ground, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 6 tablespoons butter cut up, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, orange juice, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon each of the cinnamon and ginger, and salt in large bowl. Add sweet potatoes; toss to coat well. Spoon into 13x9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with cranberries. Dot with 2 tablespoons of the butter. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, mix flour, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon each cinnamon and ginger in medium bowl. Cut in remaining 4 tablespoons butter with a fork until coarse crumbs form. Stir in pecans. Remove sweet potatoes from oven and stir gently. Sprinkle evenly with pecan topping.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes longer or until sweet potatoes are tender and topping is lightly browned.
Disclosure: I was compensated by McCormick for this post. The opinions however are, as always, mine and mine alone.