Green Velvet Whoopie Pies – St. Patrick’s Day Baking Ideas

Today’s treat, from my somewhat crazy idea of making four different treats from one green velvet cake recipe, is green velvet whoopie pies.   This was my first time making actual whoopie pies in my whoopie pie pan (though it really rocks a chocolate chip cookie!).    Truth be told I’ve never had an actual whoopie pie, so let’s get this out in the open, if you grew up eating whoopie pies (or are one of Paula Deen’s sons) I can’t promise that these taste like the original.  But I can promise they taste quite yummy.  :)   And if anyone would like to send me an old fashioned whoopie pie, I would be more than happy to accept it.  And eat it.   Just for research purposes of course.

I used a modified green velvet cake recipe (borrowed from the amazing Bakerella).  For the whoopie pies, I did increase the amount of flour in the batter.   If you will be using the entire recipe to make whoopie pies, I would increase the flour by one cup.

In retrospect, I filled my whoopie pie pan a bit too full of batter, as this recipe rises very well in the oven.   But, I don’t think too many people will complain that their whoopie pie is too big.   At least my child won’t, though she’d sure as heck let me know if her whoopie pie was too small.  Ah.  Kids.

Mine whoopie pies took about 13-15 minutes to bake, but if you were to fill the pan with a bit less batter, I’d plan maybe 10-12 minutes.

I used my cream cheese frosting recipe for these, increasing the amount of powdered sugar in it a bit to make a very thick frosting/filling.   Yummmm.   Cream cheese frosting.   Butter, cream cheese, sugar, what’s not to love?

These came out really cute, and as impressed as my daughter was with the cupcakes, the bright green whoopie pies brought a squeal of glee out of her.

I can’t help but think these would be ridiculously cute around Christmas with a bright red filling.   It’s such a vibrant green.  Three cheers for food coloring!

Next up – the most time consuming of the green velvet cake recipe treats – cake pops.   :)

Comments

There is nothing better than cream cheese frosting. I add it to almost any dessert I can!
    Your whoopie pies look festive and fun. I was just thinking about making whoopie pies the other day! They are my favorite!
    Have a beautiful weekend!

xx,
    Tammy

Wow. These are so much fun. Opposite of you, I LOVE to cook, I don’t hate baking just a wee bit too much precision for me most days. I’m trying. Oh, I think these would be great at Christmas too…maybe outside frosting rolled in crushed candy canes?

These are so cute!!
    One question– do you need to refrigerate them overnight if eating them tomorrow? Or just store in an airtight container? Can’t wait to debut them at work– thanks for the post!

Nanette, if you use a real cream cheese frosting, than I’d put them in the fridge. If you use a regular frosting or canned, than I think you are fine storing them at room temp.

I can’t remember how I stumbled upon your blog but oh my goodness am I ever glad I did! You have some of the tastiest treats I have ever seen. I actually have a shout out to your site highlighting one of your yummy St. Patty’s day treats that will be posted on Thursday.

5. Donna says

Wow! These sure do look delicious!! I saw this on Pinterest and just had to find out how to make them.

We ate whoppie pies all the time when I was growing up. The best ones though were always found at the Farmer’s Market. I don’t know why the whoppie pies the Amish made always seemed to taste better! :)

I know this post is a few years old but wanted to ask if anyone sent you an old-fashioned whoppie pie recipe? If not, I have one that I’ll send you.