Chocolate Pretzels, Chocolate Grahams and Chocolate Oreos – Wrapping up St. Patrick’s Day Baking

Happy Friday!

As we wrap up the week, I’m finishing up my St. Patty’s Day, how many green foods can I make, week.   The last few items I have to share are simply ones I pulled out of  my pantry to use up the leftover chocolate I had from making the chocolate covered marshmallows and green velvet cake pops.

With some sprinkles, melting chocolate, be it Wiltons, Merkens or almond bark from the local Walmart and a bit of imagination, you can whip up some really fun treats quite quickly.    While I live near an amazing baking supply store, many of my items come from the local grocery stores.  These treats are easy to make, they are tasty and people always act like I’m a genius for dipping a pretzel into chocolate.  Really it’s super easy, my daughter was even helping me when she was four years old.  If you haven’t tried it but have always wanted to, please do!    I love to do things like this for treats for teachers at my daughter’s school, for my hairdresser, for my daughter’s friends at dance…  for just about anyone.   It’s just a little something that doesn’t cost much, yet really brings a smile to most people’s faces.

I used pretzels (which is a favorite – the salty crunchy pretzel with creamy sweet chocolate is just such a perfect combination), oreos and graham crackers.   One of my other favorites is Rice Krispies Treats.

Chocolate covered graham crackers

Chocolate covered Oreos

Chocolate covered pretzels

Simply dip your items in chocolate (or spoon chocolate over), add sprinkles and let set up on wax paper.  You don’t even need the oven, just the microwave, and for a very short period of time.    And before you know it you have a sweet treat to give or keep and eat!

Share!

Comments

1. Barbara says

Hi there, I live in Phoenix too and I was wondering which baking supply store you refer to? Most of my shopping is just done in regular grocery stores and every once in a while I treat myself to an online order from King Arthur Flour. Would love to discover a local source.

Hi Barbara, I shop at ABC Baking. If you haven’t been, you must! It’s at about 29th Street and Indian School. You can see a few pics here.. http://www.lovefromtheoven.com/2011/02/04/like-a-toy-store-for-bakers/
      It really is worth a trip, especially if you are a fan of sprinkles – they have an entire wall of them.

I do buy my King Arthur flour at Trader Joe’s most of the time, and I noticed that Target had it the other day (they are converting ours to have more grocery items). And while I love ABC for sprinkles, I do tend to get quite a few at Michael’s as well.

2. Barbara says

Oh, a wall of sprinkles! How wonderful is that! Thanks so much for telling me about this store, it’s the other side of town for me but, judging from your other post, will be well worth the drive. Especially since KAF doesn’t ship chocolate items to Phoenix during the summer.

I wasn’t aware that Target carries it but I have seen some King Arthur flour varieties at Fry’s as well, and it’s certainly less expensive than getting it shipped from Vermont.

Thanks again, Christi, you just made my day!

3. caroline says

hey, i love your website. i am a big cook and i love barefoot contessa but all of your ideas are simple and quick. also i bought all of the stuff i need for the chocolate pretzles with m&ms but i got just the regular kinda heart shaped ones. that criss cross i the middle! thanks!

4. Stephanie says

I tried something like this recently. I had some leftover Photofrost sheets and I used a hole punch to cut out some small circles. I then sprinkled the chocolate with the dots and it was a fun an easy way to use the leftovers.

5. Nikki says

Heads up, someone is claiming your photos as your own. Couture Life posted 3/15/12 with your pretzel picture.

Nikki – thank you so much. I’ve finally given in and am now watermarking all my photos – something I never wanted to do, but it is frustrating to find my work displayed without credit. The sad part is that I (as most of the bloggers I know) are more than happy to share our photos, but credit always needs to be provided. Thanks for the heads up!