No pie plate? No problem! With this Cherry and Dark Chocolate Galette recipe, you can make a gourmet-quality dessert without any special equipment. Taken from the new cookbook, Weeknight Gourmet Dinners, this cherry galette is as easy as it is elegant!
Reasons To Make This Recipe:
- A sweet cherry filling combined with luscious dark chocolate is even better wrapped in pastry.
- It satisfies any cherry pie craving without needing a pie pan.
- It looks gorgeous without taking much time and effort!
- Everyone will be impressed by your homemade pastry skills!
Weeknight Gourmet Dinners
You know my friend Meseidy Rivera, right? She’s the founder of The Noshery where she shares all kinds of mouthwatering recipes and resources for cooking incredible meals at home. Her site has been one of my go-tos when I need some dinner inspiration for years, so I was thrilled when she released a cookbook.
Weeknight Gourmet Dinners is full of recipes that make gourmet cooking at home possible for anyone. These are not your ordinary “quick and easy” recipes and they’re also not the multi-step time consuming projects we tend to associate with gourmet cooking. Meseidy shares tips, tricks and techniques to get you cooking gourmet quality meals in your own kitchen, even on busy weeknights.
Me being me, when I got my copy of the cookbook, I immediately turned to the desserts. When I saw the beautiful photo of this Chocolate Cherry Galette I knew I had to give it a try. I was not disappointed. I’m so excited to share the recipe with you today!
One bite of this galette is proof. Gourmet cooking (and baking) is possible for anyone!
Cherry and Dark Chocolate Galette Recipe
This recipe starts with ingredients that are easy to find and that you probably already have in your kitchen.
First, you combine frozen cherries in a bowl with sugar and cornstarch. Then, add chocolate chips, corn syrup and almond extract.
Roll out a refrigerated pie crust and place it on a pan lined with parchment paper. You spoon the cherry mixture over the crust, leaving a 2 inch margin on the edges. Fold those edges over the filling.
The final touch is a brush of cream all over the top of the crust and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Then, your galette goes in the oven until it’s golden brown (mine took about 25 minutes). Let it cool completely before you serve it, as the cherry filling will be very hot.
Do you have to make your own pie crust?
The beauty of this recipe is that you can rely on the ease and convenience of a ready made pie crust from the grocery store. . . OR make your own pie crust if that’s something you love to do. On most school nights, I don’t have the time to carefully mix and roll out my own delicate pie crust. That’s where a box of refrigerated dough is a lifesaver. You can have your fancy dessert whenever the craving strikes.
How to Serve
In the book, Meseidy describes this galette as having “rustic elegance” and I think that sums it up perfectly. Flaky layers of pastry with the irresistible combination of cherries and dark chocolate makes this dessert a guaranteed hit.
Once cooled, use your pie slicer or knife to slice the galette into triangles. I opted to sprinkle a little powdered sugar over it, too!
I hope you enjoy this Chocolate Cherry Galette as much as my family and I do! If you like this recipe, make sure to grab a copy of Weeknight Gourmet Dinners for more recipes to elevate your weeknight meals.
Click to pin and save!
Cherry and Dark Chocolate Galette
- 12 oz frozen cherries (halved)
- 2 tbs granulated sugar
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tbs corn syrup
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 prepared pie crust (dough)
- 3 tbs heavy cream or half-and-half
- 3 tbs light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large bowl, combine cherries, sugar and cornstarch. Stir the cherries until evenly coated. Add the corn syrup, almond extract and chocolate chips and mix until well combined.
- Carefully roll out a pie crust on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Spoon the cherry mixture into the center of the pie crust. Spread out the cherry mixture, leaving a 2 inch bare margin around the edges of the crust. Bring the edges of the crust over the fruit, folding it over the cherry mixture.
- Brush the crust with the cream and sprinkle brown sugar over it.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let the galette cool completely on a wire rack before serving.