When it comes to cupcakes, chocolate fudge cupcakes are one of my favorites.
About the only thing that can make it better is just a touch of sea salt. I’ve always been a big fan of the salty sweet combo.
There is something really fantastic about the combo of chocolate and sea salt. I’ve brought those flavors together in these Salted Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes.
Rich chocolate fudge cupcakes, a perfect cocoa filled chocolate frosting, a sprinkles of sea salt flakes and for a finishing touch they are topped with Sea Salt Cocoa Fudge from Brach’s. Thank you to my friends at Brach’s for sponsoring this post.
Salted Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
I know salted caramel is all the rage, but if you haven’t had the combination of chocolate and sea salt, you are in for a treat.
There is something about the touch of salt that really brings all of the flavors alive, mellows any overly sweet notes and imparts a really unique taste. Personally I could take a sprinkle of sea salt on all of my desserts!
When Brach’s released their new Sea Salt Cocoa Fudge, the chocolate and salt combo lover in me couldn’t wait to try it.
These rich, creamy bites, made with real butter, and without preservatives or artificial flavors, are the perfect blend of cocoa and sea salt.
Sea Salt Cocoa Fudge Bites
The delicious bite size pieces of fudge are individually wrapped, which makes them incredibly easy to say pop in one’s purse for a little mid-errand running snack. I only know that because a “friend” told me. Or something like that.
This cupcake recipe is simple, and you and whip it up in no time. Top it off with a sprinkle of sea salt (I’m fond of Maldon Sea Salt Flakes) and Brach’s Sea Salt Cocoa Fudge. You’ll have a cupcake that looks too inviting to resist.
Chocolate Fudge Cupcake Recipe
Salted Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa regular cocoa will work as well
- 1 cup and 2 TBSP all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk at room temperature
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup butter melted but starting to cool
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened but not melted
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk You can also use half and half or heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- sea salt flakes for topping
- 12 Brach's Sea Salt Cocoa Fudge Bites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake wrappers.
- In a large bowl, combine cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg, egg yolk and sugars. Mix well by hand to combine. Stir in milk and sour cream, stirring well to combine. Add in coffee and butter, mixing well to combine. Mix with dry ingredients until well combined.
- Fill liners with cupcake batter, approximately 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly pressed and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes prior to frosting.
- Beat butter in bowl until creamy. Add in cocoa and mix well to combine. Add half the powdered sugar and half the milk and beat well until combined, then add remaining powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and salt, beating well for approximately 2-3 minutes. If needed more milk can be added to thin frosting or more powdered sugar can be added to thicken frosting to reach desired consistency. Once cupcakes are completely cool, frost. Top each cupcake with a sprinkle of sea salt and and a piece of Brach's Sea Salt Fudge.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
I hope your family enjoys these delicious salted chocolate fudge cupcakes as much as mine did.
PIN TO SAVE!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Brach’s. All opinions however are mine and mine alone.