When I was growing up, I remember my grandmothers and mom making chocolate oatmeal cookies fairly regularly. I always loved the combo of chocolate and oatmeal, but for some reason I very rarely see or hear of this combo these days.
As I’ve been trying to work on some recipes that are gluten free for my youngest daughter, I’ve been working a lot with (gluten free) oats. While I’m trying to explore gluten free baking, truth be told we have some really picky eaters in this house, so I’m trying to stick with flavors and textures that are familiar and picky eater approved. These chocolate oatmeal cookies fit the bill.
This cookie is made from a combination of oats and oat flour, which I make myself by running my oats through a food processor. You can also buy oat flour already ground, but I find it very easy to make myself. I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder, but if dark chocolate isn’t your thing, regular cocoa powder will work just fine.
While I’m really not a fan of chilling cookie dough (not because it doesn’t work, but because I’m always in a hurry!), I’ve found when I’m using oat flour in place of all purpose or whole wheat flour, the chilling really makes a difference. Without chilling the cookies can spread like crazy, so while I try to avoid that whole chilling thing, these really will work best if you can give them about 24 hours in the fridge prior to baking.
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in these, but feel free to use whatever you like, from milk chocolate to dark chocolate or even peanut butter or white chocolate. Chocolate chips are one of those things that you can almost always shake up in a recipe, so don’t be afraid to try a new combo that sounds good to YOU!
Let’s bake some cookies!
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter or margarine, softened
- 1 & 1/2 cups packed brown sugar light or dark is fine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs plus one egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 & 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1. Beat butter and sugars in large bowl until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs, egg yolk and vanilla.
- 2. In a separate bowl, Stir together oat flour, oats, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, mixing well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 3. Chill dough covered (I wrap mine tightly in plastic wrap) in your refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
- 4. When ready to bake, remove dough from fridge to sit at room temperature while oven preheats to 350 degrees F.
- 5. Using hands, shape dough into balls slightly smaller than a golf ball. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, about 2" apart.
- 6. Bake 11 to 12 minutes or until set; cookies will be slightly moist in center. Do not overbake. Cool 10 minutes then remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- 7. Cool completely. Makes about 48 cookies. Store covered.
Now you just need a big glass of milk and you are good to go!
Some other recipes that you might enjoy include…