Let’s talk coconut and Coconut Cream Cupcakes. When it comes to coconut, it seems to be one of those love it or hate it type of things. I fall into the love it camp, and every spring I find myself looking for ways to work coconut into my baking. While I love coconut cream pie, cupcakes are always a great choice for me to bring to holiday get-togethers, so I decided to put some of the flavors from coconut cream pie into cupcakes. These coconut cream cupcakes make a wonderful Easter dessert.
This delicious coconut cream cupcake recipe has an absolutely amazing coconut cream cheese frosting. Being the fan of coconut that I am, I even added coconut to the frosting itself. When my friends at Philadelphia Cream Cheese asked me if I would like to share an Easter dessert that I love to make for my family, these cupcakes instantly came to mind.
While this coconut cream cupcakes recipe is made from scratch, it is super simple– every bit as easy as making cupcakes from a box mix. Love that!
The coconut cream cupcakes themselves come together quickly and easily. This recipe makes 24 cupcakes.
These coconut cream cupcakes have a light and delicate flavor. While they have a coconut taste, it’s not overwhelming. While I love coconut, I like it to be subtle, and that’s exactly what you get with these cupcakes. They are moist, flavorful and delicious. The frosting is also simple to make, and a spin on traditional cream cheese frosting. The combo of Philadelphia Cream Cheese with butter and powdered sugar gets a coconut kick from the addition of cream of coconut and some actual coconut stirred right in.
This frosting is SO good. It’s not overly sweet, and the cream cheese flavor really shines through. While I love the texture that the coconut mixed into the frosting gives, if you want the coconut flavor without the added texture, you can leave out the one cup of sweetened coconut. They will still be great.
If you love coconut, make sure to try my MACAROONS recipe as well!
COCONUT CREAM CUPCAKES
Coconut Cream Cupcakes
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup cream of coconut make sure it's cream of coconut, not coconut milk
- 6 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese softened
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar optional - you can use 1/2-1 cup more if you want a thicker frosting
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1 cup sweetened flake coconut
- Extra toasted coconut for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl using a mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla to bowl and beat well to combine. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined, then add half the buttermilk, mixing well to combine. Add remaining dry ingredients, mixing well to combine, followed by remaining buttermilk, mixing well to combine. Mix in cream of coconut.
- Scoop batter into a muffin tin lined with 24 cupcake liners. Bake for approximately 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top of the cupcakes bounce back when lightly pressed. Remove from oven and cool completely prior to frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine softened butter and cream cheese and mix well on medium until light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add in vanilla and mix to combine. Add in powdered sugar and salt, stirring well to combine. Once frosting is well mixed, stir in cream of coconut and coconut flakes and stir well to combine. Frost cupcakes and enjoy.
I topped my coconut cream cupcakes with toasted coconut, but you can use sprinkles, another garnish or just leave them plain. Whatever works for you! I hope your family has a very Happy Easter!
Note: I came up with this recipe myself. It is not an original Philadelphia Cream Cheese recipe