A cupcake that’s pretty in pink! Strawberry Cupcakes pack the juicy taste of berries into every bite. A dollop of beautiful strawberry buttercream on top makes these treats even better!
You may have gathered by now that I love pink. I especially love pink desserts! This Strawberry Cupcake recipe creates fluffy and flavorful cupcakes that strawberry fans won’t be able to resist.
Oh, but I wasn’t satisfied to just make a regular old strawberry cupcake and top it with any kind of frosting. These are strawberry on strawberry on strawberry! Along with plenty of real strawberry flavor inside these little cakes, there’s even more strawberry in the buttercream frosting.
And I also had to garnish each one with a strawberry on top! Wouldn’t you?
When strawberries are in season (or on sale) you NEED to make these cupcakes! They’re perfect for birthday parties, potlucks and celebrations of all kind. Their pretty pink color makes them a great choice for Valentine’s Day and kids’ tea parties, too.
Do I really need to tell you when to make cupcakes? In my opinion, cupcakes are appropriate any time. So go ahead and make a batch of Strawberry Cupcakes for yourself today! They’re guaranteed to make you smile.
Strawberry Cupcake Recipe
These cupcakes really are just dreamy. While I love my other pink baked goods like Pink Velvet Cupcakes and Pink Ribbon Cinnamon Rolls, it’s nice that these cupcakes get their rosy look from the strawberries themselves. Pureed strawberries add authentic real strawberry taste and color!
Like many other cake and cupcake recipes, this one does get a helping hand from a basic vanilla cake mix. I know many of you are having challenges finding flour right now, so maybe this can help provide you an option to forgo it. I’ve always been a huge fan of doctored cake mix recipes. From Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies to Rainbow Cake, Lemon Rolls to Chocolate Bundt Cake, I love how a simple cake mix can be completely transformed.
My enthusiasm about this cupcake recipe has a lot to do with the frosting. Frosting is what cake is all about–to me anyway. There’s a big trend toward serving cakes with no or little frosting now but I’ve remained firmly in Team Buttercream. Especially when it comes to cupcakes!
Strawberry Buttercream Recipe
When you’re tired of plain old frostings, Strawberry Buttercream is here to shake things up a little! It has all the goodness I love in a classic buttercream frosting but the strawberry adds just a little something “extra” that makes every bite of cupcake taste extra special.
I based this cupcake frosting on my go-to Buttercream Frosting. Using butter, powdered sugar and vanilla for the base, a little heavy cream plus pureed strawberries creates a pale pink icing that holds its shape so well on top of the cupcakes. Add a whole or sliced strawberry to the top and you get cupcake perfection.
Want to really show off the color of the Strawberry cupcakes? Peel off the cupcake liners and display them “naked” on a serving platter or tray. These would also be cute with pink or red sprinkles on top!
Want to make a Strawberry Cake instead of cupcakes? Double the strawberry cupcakes recipe and divide the batter evenly between 2 layer cake pans. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I couldn’t wait for summertime strawberry sales to make a batch of these cupcakes, but I know they’ll be making another appearance as the weather gets even warmer. Pin or bookmark this recipe for your list of must-try summer time desserts!
Looking for even more tasty treats using strawberries? You’re going to love this homemade Strawberry Ice Cream With Dark Chocolate and these adorable Strawberry Ghosts. When it comes to berry cheesecakes, everyone raves over Mini Strawberry Cheesecakes!
- 1 standard size box vanilla cake mix
- 1 3oz package strawberry Jell-O approximately 3oz, okay if it's slightly more or less (just the dry mix, do not actually make the Jell-O)
- 1/4 cup strawberry puree**
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup cream cheese* softened, do not use light or fat-free
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry puree**
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Place all cupcake ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix well with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 fo the way full with cupcake batter.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely prior to frosting.
- Cream together butter and cream cheese until well combined, light and fluffy - about 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add in one cup of powdered sugar and mix until well combined. Repeat with remaining powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Add in strawberry puree, vanilla extract and jam. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined. If a thicker frosting is desired, add more powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time. If a thinner frosting is desired, add in more strawberry puree, milk or cream, one tablespoon at a time, mixing well, until desired consistency is reached. Frost cupcakes with an offset spatula or by piping on. Top each cupcake with a fresh strawberry if desired.