Throughout the summer, in partnership with Mode Media and Nutella, I am sharing some ways that I am spreading happiness in my life. Summer, with a break from our always packed schedule and never ending stream of homework, really is an ideal time to work on spreading some happiness to our friends and family.
With Father’s Day coming up, it is the perfect time to spread some happiness in our home and make something special for my husband, who is an amazing dad to our two daughters.
While I could have made anything for my husband, I really wanted to make waffles – for a reason. Recently a waffle food truck was up in our neighborhood, and with our youngest daughter already asleep for the night, there was no way we could all go as a family. As my husband often does, he happily told me to take our oldest daughter and go enjoy some waffles, he’d stay home. He so often does things like this, making sacrifices big and small, for our daughters and myself. He is always quick to make sure that all the girls in the house are happy and taken care of, and never thinks twice if that means more work on his part or even missing out on things.
While that night we brought him home a waffle to try, it wasn’t exactly piping hot. So some fresh, hot Liege waffles seemed like the ideal choice to spread some happy to his day. Not familiar with Liege waffles? Instead of the traditional waffle batter, they are made with a yeasted dough with pearl sugar throughout. They are the best waffles we have ever had. Add some Nutella spread to your waffles, and it just takes them to a whole other level. This is a perfect way to bring some joy and happiness to breakfast (or any other meal of the day!).
They are the most amazing waffles I have ever had.
Because these waffles are made with yeast, they do take a bit longer to make than traditional waffles, as you need to allow some rise time, but they really are not difficult at all. To make a proper Liege waffle you need some Belgium Pearl Sugar, which you can find at some stores as well as order online. They are large chunks of sugar if you will, that crystallize when you cook your waffles.
These waffles, or any waffles really, are perfect for making and spreading some happiness in your life. If you haven’t topped waffles with Nutella yet, you are in for a treat. I like to also add fresh berries to the mix. It creates such a fabulous flavor combo, one that is sure to spread some happy!
Liege Waffles With Nutella Spread
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 3/4 lukewarm milk not over 100 degrees F
- 1 cup softened butter not quite melted, but very soft
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 8 oz bag Belgian Sugar Pearls
- Sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm milk in a small bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add eggs, softened butter and vanilla to the yeast, sugar and milk mixture, and stir until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour and salt mixture and stir well until just combined and a soft dough forms. Once dough comes together, cover bowl and place in a warm draft free place until dough has doubled in volume, about 30 minutes. Once dough has risen, gently stir or knead in Belgian Sugar Pearls.
- Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturers directions.
- Divide dough up into approximately 10 equal size pieces, shaped into round or oval shapes. Cook waffles on a waffle iron until lightly browned and crispy, about 2-3 minutes depending on waffle iron.
- Spread with Nutella and serve. Enjoy!
These were so delicious. My husband was thrilled with them, and very much enjoyed them. Happiness all around!
The folks at Nutella would love to have you share your #spreadthehappy pictures on the Nutella Tumblr page. I look forward to sharing more ways that I plan to “Spread The Happy” this summer.
You can also check out Nutella on their social media pages, including…
Nutella® hazelnut spread is a happy start to every day! Pick up a jar of Nutella in the spreads aisle and enjoy it with whole wheat toast, waffles, pancakes, strawberries, bananas and many other foods. Nutella. Spread the Happy™.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by the makers of Nutella via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Nutella.