Another new muffin recipe for you today. And wow do I LOVE this one. I’ve been making muffins that are inspired by chocolate chip cookies, but these muffins follow the lead of another great cookie – the Oatmeal Scotchie. Oh how I love the combo of oatmeal and butterscotch. Such a yummy way to start the day that would be perfect with a nice cup of coffee (head over to this post to enter my awesome Millstone Coffee giveaway).
If you are a fan of oatmeal scotchie cookies, you need to make these. Like most muffins these freeze (and thaw/reheat) very nicely. I’ve used whole grains and replaced some of the fat with Greek yogurt in this recipe, which makes it not only a delicious way to start your day, but packs in some nutrition as well.
Like most of my recipes, these are simple and straight forward to make. Just a mix the wet ingredients and mix the dry ingredients, combine them together and pop in the oven type of thing. You know the drill. I know some people are specific with the type of oatmeal they use in recipes like this but truth be told, I’m not. Quick, old fashion, whatever you have on hand. Well, I’m not so sure that instant packets or steel cut would really work, but who knows!
I really don’t use butterscotch chips enough. Such a great flavor.
I like to keep these in the fridge (I like the more crunch type of texture the chips have when cold) but I also tried them warmed up in the microwave for a few seconds and they were divine.
Here’s the recipe…
Oatmeal Scotchie Muffins
- 1 1/2 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour all purpose would work as well
- 1 cup Oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 5.3 oz containers of Oikos Greek Vanilla Yogurt approx 1 1/3 cup if using a different brand
- 1/4 cup sour cream I use light sour cream
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar and set aside.
- Combine yogurt, sour cream, melted butter, milk and vanilla well with a mixer. Add in egg and mix well to combine.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, and butterscotch chips, and stir until well combined but do not over mix.
- Scoop into a grease muffin tin.
- Bake for approx 15-20 minute or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and/or top of muffin springs back when lightly touched.
- Makes 12 muffins.
Want some other yummy muffin recipes? Here are some of my favorites…
Have a great weekend!