These Oreo Truffle balls are adorable and delicious, snack-sized treats that look lovely on this Little Mermaid Snack Board! Made with only 5 ingredients, you and your guests will be ecstatic to see these on the dessert spread.
These Oreo Truffles are meant to represent pearls with the shiny iridescent luster dust, and mermaid sprinkles on top! However, you can decorate these with whatever sprinkles or toppings you chose, for whatever holiday or event you have going on.
Let’s discuss how to make Oreo Truffle Balls, as well as the ingredients that are needed. Please take note that below you will find discussion, expert tips, and answers to frequently asked questions about this recipe to help you recreate it in your kitchen. If you *just* want the recipe itself, scroll down. The full printable recipe itself, with exact measurements and instructions, is found at the bottom of this page.
- Golden Oreos – This will actually be the ‘batter’ for these delicious Oreo Truffles. You can use whatever flavor Oreo you’d like. You can also make these Cookie Truffles instead and decorate them to look like Mermaid pearls.
- Vanilla Frosting – Vanilla Frosting adds that extra level of sweetness to these cookie truffles that will remind you of cake pops. You can use canned frosting or homemade vanilla frosting. If you want a richer flavor you can use cream cheese instead of frosting.
- Bright White Candy Melts – You can also use white chocolate!
- Iridescent Mermaid Sprinkles – These mermaid themed sprinkles are absolutely adorable, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- White Luster Dust – This edible shimmer dust really makes these pearl cake balls glimmer!
Step By Step Instructions
- Start by adding the Golden Oreos into a food processor.
- Pulse the cookies until they become crumbs.
- Once they’ve been blended together, add the vanilla frosting to the processor and pulse until combined. The texture should resemble a dough.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to scoop 2 tablespoons of dough into your hand and form a ball.
- Set onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat this step until you run out of dough. Let the cake balls chill in the freezer for about 1 hour.
- Take the balls out of the freezer and check to make sure they are firm. Once they’re ready, melt the white candy melts according to the package instructions, or microwave for 20 second increments, stirring after each interval. .
- Once melted, use a fork or chocolate dipping tool to dip a cake ball into the white chocolate. Cover the entire ball, and let the excess chocolate drip off. Place the cake ball back on the parchment lined baking sheet and immediately top with sprinkles. Repeat this step until all the balls have been covered and sprinkled.
- Let the cake balls cool at room temperature for 30 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened. Once they’ve cooled, generously dust each cake ball with the white luster dust. Place the final pearl cake balls in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge until they’re ready to use.
Tips And Advice
Storage – Store the cookie balls in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can crush the Oreos in a doubled up Ziploc Bag with a rolling pin.
Using some food handlers gloves is optional, but it can prevent fingerprints from sticking to the luster dust on the cake balls.
Let the cake balls harden at room temperature, not in the fridge or freezer. The cold air could cause cracking for temperature shock, or create condensation on the chocolate coating. If the coating is wet, you won’t be able to apply the luster dust.
If you use cream cheese instead of frosting, you would not want to eat any Oreo Truffles that were left out overnight, as the cream cheese will spoil. The Oreo truffle balls should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container if you want to eat the leftovers.
Recipes You’ll Love
If you loved these adorable truffles, you have to check out some of these other, similar recipes you can make for any occasion!
Oreo Truffle Balls
- 14.3 ounce package Golden Oreos other flavors can be used
- 1 heaping cup vanilla frosting canned or homemade
- 12 ounces bright white candy melts other colors can be used
- Mermaid Sprinkles optional
- White Luster Dust optional
- Begin by adding the Golden Oreos into a food processor. Pulse until reduced to small crumbs (like the texture of sand).
- Add Vanilla Frosting and pulse until combined (like the texture of playdough).
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop 2 tablespoons of dough into your hand and form a ball. Set onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place cake balls into the freezer to chill for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Once firm, melt 12 oz Bright White Candy Melts according to package instructions.
- Using a fork (or a chocolate dipping tool) dip the cake balls into the melted candy coating and allow excess to drip off.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and immediately top with sprinkles.
- Set aside to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Once hardened, liberally dust with White Luster Dust.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.