Libby’s Pumpkin Roll is a classic fall desert. Moist and flavorful pumpkin cake is combined with a delicious cream cheese swirl filling, to create a treat that looks as good as it tastes. But don’t be intimidated, this pumpkin roll cake is surprisingly easy to make. Get ready for wide eyes and big smiles when you serve up a slice!
Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe
- Libbys Pumpkin Roll is one of those classic fall recipes that everyone loves.
- It’s hard to beat a two-for-one dessert! Enjoy both cake and a cheesecake like filling, all in one.
- Roll cakes, with their beautiful swirl, will wow and impress your guests.
- Need a make ahead dessert? This is a fantastic choice, they even freeze well.
- It’s easy to transport, making a great option to bring to holiday get togethers.
- Pumpkin Roll Cake is a great non-pie Thanksgiving dessert option.
Libbys Pumpkin Roll Recipe
Fall is almost in the air, and I’m ready to bake it there until we make it there. This Libbys Pumpkin Roll Recipe is a fantastic way to kick off pumpkin season.
With amazing flavor, divine texture and it’s trademark cream cheese swirl, your friends and family will thoroughly enjoy surprisingly easy dessert.
Let’s discuss how to make this delicious pumpkin roll, as well as the ingredients that are needed for it. Please take note that below you will find discussion, expert tips, and answers to frequently asked questions about this recipe to help you recreate it in your kitchen.
If you *just* want the recipe itself, scroll down. The full printable recipe itself, with exact measurements and instructions, is found at the bottom of this page.
How To Make A Pumpkin Roll
While their beautiful presentation can feel a bit intimidating, pumpkin rolls are straightforward to make, with simple and common ingredients. Let’s walk through what you will need. Reminder the full and detailed printable recipe is found at the end of the post.
You likely have most of the ingredients on hand. Here’s what you’ll be gathering up prior to beginning this recipe: powdered sugar, all-purpose flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, cloves (optional), salt, eggs, granulated sugar, cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and Libby’s pure pumpkin puree.
What’s the difference between pure pumpkin and pumpkin pie mix? For this recipe, you want pure pumpkin. Pumpkin pie mix has added spices, sugar and other possible ingredients, while pure pumpkin is just that – pure pumpkin and nothing else.
Steps To Take
To make Libbys pumpkin roll, begin by making your cake. This is the simple, standard cake making process. First combine dry ingredients in one bowl, and wet ingredients and sugar in a separate bowl. The pumpkin is then added to the wet ingredients, then the dry mixture is added in.
The cake batter is then spread into a jelly roll pan that has been lined with wax or parchment paper. Then it’s into the oven to bake. The bake time is short, usually under 15 minutes. While it’s baking, prepare a thin, cotton kitchen towel by sprinkling 1/4 cup of powdered sugar evenly over it.
This is an important cake not to overbake. If overbaked, the cake will be drier, which will make the roll up portion harder.
After removing from the oven, the cake is turned onto the prepare towel, the wax paper is removed, and the cake is gently rolled up, and left to cool in the rolled shape.
While the cake cools, prepare the frosting.
The cake is then unrolled, frosting is added, then the cake is rerolled and wrapped in plastic wrap. It is then placed into the fridge to chill for at least an hour prior to serving.
Get ready for a delicious and beautiful dessert when you slice it up!
Common Questions & Answers
What if I don’t like or have clove on hand? If you don’t like clove, replace it with pumpkin pie spice or additional cinnamon, or simply omit.
What is a jelly roll pan? A jelly roll plan is a flat, cookie sheet type of pan, that has higher sides than the typical cookie sheet does, usually about 1″ high. It’s typically about 15×10″ in size, where cookie sheets are often closer to 18×13″ in size. This is a good choice for a jelly roll pan.
What if I don’t have a jelly roll pan? This Libbys Pumpkin Roll really does best in a 15×10″ jelly roll pan. If needed you can bake in a cookie sheet, however the larger the pan, the thinner the cake will be, and the more prone to cracking when rolling. Also, bake time will be less, so watch it closely while baking. If overbaked, they are hard to roll!
Libbys Pumpkin Roll
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar to sprinkle on towel
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Libbys 100% Pure Pumpkin
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounce package cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- extra powdered sugar if desired for decoration
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 15×10" jelly roll pan by greasing it, then lining the bottom with wax or parchment paper. Grease and flour the wax or parchment paper. Set aside. Sprinkle a large, thin cotton tea towel with 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a bowl and stir to combine. In a separate bowl beat together eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. Add pumpkin to mixture and stir to mix. Add in flour mixture and stir to mix. Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. If using a dark colored pan, the cake may be done at 11 minutes, so start checking then.
- Remove from oven and immediately loosen the cake and turn cake onto the prepared towel. Gently peel off the wax or parchment paper. Roll up the cake, together with the towel, starting with the narrow end. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Prepare filling by beating softened cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add in vanilla, and beat until well combined.
- Gently unroll the cake and spread cream cheese mixture evenly across the top. Then gently reroll the cake, without the towel. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour in refrigerator prior to serving. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar to garnish.