This quick and easy Dog Cake Recipe is perfect for celebrating your pup’s birthday or spoiling them, just because!
My friends asked me how I planned to spoil my dogs for National Spoil Your Dog Day, and of course the answer included baking. Like any special day, I think we should celebrate with cake. A puppy approved dog cake!
I think it’s safe to say my furry friend is thrilled. Then again I have a cocker spaniel, so he basically lives, eats, breathes and sleeps for food. I’m sure I’m not the only one with a food motivated pup!
Dog Cake Recipe
This dog cake is packed full of great ingredients, including peanut butter, applesauce and pumpkin. It comes together and bakes up just like any other cake, but is perfect for your pets. The optional frosting is made from peanut butter and yogurt.
I’m often asked if humans can eat this cake as well, and the answer is YES! However, unlike a traditional cake, it lacks sugar, so just know it won’t be as sweet as your pet is.
Since first sharing this easy dog safe cake recipe years ago, thousands of pet parents just like you have made it. You can even see some of the great recreations that readers have made over on Instagram by checking out the #spoileddogcake hashtag! I’m so happy that so many of you have made, and loved, this recipe.
Decorating Your Cake
When I made my cake, I topped it with some store bought dog bones. Because they are minis, which makes them almost like dog cake sprinkles in my book!
No matter what you top it with, I’m sure your dog will love this homemade dog cake recipe. This recipe makes a single layer, but as you can see I doubled the recipe to make a layer cake.
The frosting is optional, but I really never think of frosting as optional (it’s my favorite part of the cake!) so I recommend it. While you can absolutely share this cake with your dogs, it’s lacking sugar so it won’t be sweet – just so you know.
If your furry friend loves this puppy cake recipe, make sure to check out my Pupcake Dog Cupcakes and Doggy Donuts as well!
Dog Cake Recipe
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see and share a picture of your pup enjoying it! You can email me or tag me on social @lovefromtheoven!
Spoiled Dog Cake Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter Do NOT use a peanut butter with Xylitol as it's dangerous to dogs. Check ingredients!
- 1/2 cup applesauce go with plain, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree make sure you use pure pumpkin, not canned pumpkin pie mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl mix together vegetable oil, peanut butter, applesauce and pumpkin puree. Once combined, mix in egg and mix until combined.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into an 8" round pan (a square pan can also be used) that has been greased with oil.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack prior to removing from pan.
- After cooling, add frosting if desired.
- Mix Greek yogurt and peanut butter until well combined. Spread over cake. If not serving immediately, store in refrigerator.
While this dog cake recipe is SUPER easy, I know that sometimes a cake mix is what we all reach for. Well guess what, I found some awesome cake mixes for dogs. Check these mixes out! They even have grain free options.
If your dog has allergies, as so many of them do, and you need a grain-free dog birthday cake, head over to Table For Two for her Grain-Free Dog Birthday Cake.
Big Bear’s Wife has some Cheesy Tomato Basil Dog Treats. Those sound good enough for me to try!
Brown Eyed Baker has some Frozen Peanut Butter-Yogurt Dog Treats that are sure to be a summer hit.
Tidy Mom has some Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits that you can cut into any shape you like.
We don’t want to leave our other four legged friends out of the fun! All Roads Lead To The Kitchen has some Homemade Chicken & Cranberry Cat Treats for your feline friends.
If you have a new puppy on the way, I’ve got a great list of new puppy items to help you out!
I hope you find a way to spoil your dogs for #SpoilYourDogDay and maybe have a chance to whip up this delicious cake or try my dog bone recipe. Your furry friends will thank you, I promise!
And remember, Bounty has you covered for cleaning up all those messes that our beloved pets always seem to make. With Bounty, the #QuickerPickerUpper, spills, accidents and other pet messes are no problem.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Bounty. All opinions however are mine and mine alone. This post contains affiliate links.