Cake Mix Cinnamon Waffles With Cinnamon Roll Glaze

After having such great success with the cake mix cinnamon rolls, I thought I would try another breakfast item.   Cake mix waffles….

Oh boy, these were good and received RAVE reviews in this house.   I think the only way these could be easier is if they were frozen waffles.  They are THAT simple.

I started with a vanilla Duncan Hines cake mix.  I think a yellow would work just as well and a spice would be great.

I followed the directions on the box (for making a cake) but I also add in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.  That’s it!   After that it’s a matter of heating up your waffle iron and baking your waffles.  Mine took about 2-3 minutes a piece.

I told you they were easy, right?  :)   Depending on the size of your waffle iron/waffles, I think you can get about 12-15 large size waffles out of this recipe.

While they would be fine, just like that, why not take them to another level with some cinnamon roll frosting drizzled over the top?

I used Dunan Hines Frosting Creations Frosting Starter with their Cinnamon Roll Flavor Packet.

I combined the two in a glass measuring cup so that I could heat them in the microwave once combined.   About 15-30 seconds is good, depending on how warm you want your icing to be.

Waffles are one of the things that I can easily get my husband to make, so these just might be making an appearance on Mother’s Day morning.    If you are a weekend waffle and/or pancake maker, I highly recommend that you give these a try.   Enjoy!

Comments

1. Laura E says

My goodness your pictures make this look SO GOOD. How do you come up with these ideas??? I think this might be something I make this Sunday!

2. Joan says

They do look so easy and good. Is there an easy way to print your recipes? There are so many that look so great. thanks!

I must make these this weekend! I think I have a spice cake mix sitting around the pantry somewhere, PLUS I have friends coming to visit :) Thanks for the idea!

4. Holly says

I am eating these as I type. They are VERY good and not overly sweet like I thought they would be. SUPER easy too. These make a great weekend addition at our house! Thanks for the yummy recipe.

5. Rosabel says

I think I am gonna buy that waffle stick maker : these waffles look soooo good! I like what you use to pour over the waffle. That’s a sweet idea! on my end, I always pour Maple syrup (organic maple syrup). In Quebec, that’s the classic’ way to eat them! Lately, I found this delicious organic maple syrup offered by Rouge maple online. it makes divine waffles and pancakes!

6. Annika says

Ooh!!! You just made this pregnant lady very happy and very hungry. We are having breakfast for dinner now! =)

7. Rebekah Smith says

I have made these 3 times now and they are officially the only way to make waffles now in my home. YUMMMMMMMM. Thank you.

8. Kelly Martin says

Just made these morning! They were a hit! Not only did they taste amazing, they were simple, easy, and affordable to make!

Thanks for an amazing recipe!

9. khalilah says

I am going to have to try this. My lil chef loves making pancakes and waffles. And i love to eat them both. Just thinking about it got my spider sense tingling.

10. charlotte says

I tried these, but they were too soft [cooked through, right color]….should I try them for a longer time, at a lower setting? or do they not get [just a little bit] crispy? thanks!

Charlotte, I would likely try that. How thickly were they rolled? I roll mine fairly thin, and if they are fairly thick they would likely take longer. I find my own oven has so much variation, it’s hard to have one standard on time/temp. I’d maybe knock the temp down 25 degrees and keep a close eye on them. Also, where in the oven were they? I typically have mine in the middle to a bit low, to try and avoid too much browning on top too fast. :)

11. Rhonda says

Just made these and was not pleased. They are too “cakey” for me. But no problem…made 2 waffles and then poured the batter in a cake pan and baked it so nothing was wasted.

12. PastryGirl says

What a great idea. I have been trying to make a cinnamon waffle that is similar to Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles but have had little success. I think this one just might do the trick.

I am visiting my family this weekend and i am soooooo making these for them!

Thanks,
    PastryGirl

13. Rhonda says

Just made these this morning and was not pleased with the outcome. The flavor was good, the consistency was not. They were too spongy, cakey, etc. Not a do over for us.

14. Christine says

Tried these this morning and they didn’t come out very well at first. They are very soft coming out of the iron but they firm up after sitting for a little bit. Also, I did have to spray my waffle iron with Pam and that helped them come out a lot easier. I did try to up the temperature but it just made them darker but still good. For the icing, I just mixed together powdered sugar and milk with a little cinnamon, very good!!

15. emily t says

i love making things in my waffle iron! for my son’s birthday, we had chocolate cake waffles (just like yours! only chocolate) and for valentine’s day, we did red velvet cake mix waffles, in the shape of hearts. we don’t usually put anything on them (my boys are 5 and under) so we don’t get super messy. i also do muffin mixes, corn bread, cinnamon rolls. french toast, grilled cheese, and just about anything you can think of!

16. Jamie C says

Thank you for this idea! Its super easy and yummy. Tonight I am making these, but I am using Strawberry cake mix and a chocolatey glaze :)

17. Sheree says

Just made these this morning with the spice cake mix and they were delicious!! I would suggest to not add quite as much cinnamon if using spice cake, maybe about 1-4 tsp… Otherwise they were amazing! Thanks for the post!!

I just bought a waffle maker and my husband is in love. My mom made waffles New Years Eve with chocolate waffles and vanilla ice cream and gave my husband a lot of ideas. Always looking for new ideas and I think this one is a keeper.

19. Debbie A says

This sounded really good & I just made them for breakfast, however they were not a hit at my house . I have been making homemade waffles for years that my family loves, it is about a 45 minute process but so worth it, will not be making these again to soft & not that much taste! :-)

Debbie, sorry to hear they weren’t a hit. They definitely have a different taste than true waffles, as they really are cake! :) I think the cake mix can have a lot to do with it, some certainly have more flavor than others do.