Chewy, rich and buttery, these Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are just as good any cookie you’ll find in a bakery. If you are looking to take your chocolate chip cookies to the next level, this is the recipe to do that with.
Trying new chocolate chip cookie recipes is practically a hobby of mine. I love how with little changes to the ingredients or instructions, you can get totally different end results. These brown butter chocolate chip cookies use familiar ingredients, in a slightly different way, to create a rich, nutty and delicious cookie that is utterly irresistible.
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
While the ingredients in these cookies are very similar to your standard chocolate chip cookie recipe, the magic is in the butter. This recipe uses browned butter, which gives it a rich, almost caramel flavor. If you haven’t made brown butter before, this is a great post that breaks it down.
Once you have your brown butter making down, you’ll also want to use it in Brown Butter Blondies. So rich and delicious.
Chocolate Chip Cookies Made With Brown Butter
Out of all the cookies I make for family and friends, these are the cookies that everybody requests, and they are my oldest daughter’s all time favorite cookie.
They do take some extra time, both to make the brown butter and to chill the dough, which is a must for these cookies. You need to chill the dough for at least twelve hours, and you can chill the dough for up to 48 hours.
Just give the dough a bit of time at room temperature prior to baking, as it will make the cold dough easier to scoop.
Tips To Making Great Cookies
There are two other factors that I think make these cookies extra special.
First, I use two or three different types of chocolate chips when I make them. I like to use different sizes, from mini chips to jumbo chips, and different types of chocolate, such as semi-sweet and dark chocolate.
Second, after I scoop my cookie dough onto my baking sheets, I sprinkle a bit of Maldon Sea Salt Flakes over the tops of each cookie. The combo of the brown butter, chocolate and sea salt is truly amazing.
BROWN BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup browned butter* you do not want to add it to the recipe hot, room temperature is ideal, melted and given time to cool
- 1 cup packed brown sugar light or dark
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon high quality vanilla extract such as Nielsen Massey
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups assorted chocolate chips such as mini chips semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Optional - Sea Salt to sprinkle on top of dough prior to baking
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until very well blended, about two to three minutes. The mixture will seem a bit dry. Beat in the vanilla and eggs until mixture is light and creamy.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, along with chocolate chips, chunks and grated chocolate, until well combined, but do not over mix. Cover mixture (with plastic wrap or liand chill in refrigerator for at least 12 hours and up to 48 hours. Chilling the dough is absolutely necessary when working with the melted butter, given it time to solidify and for the flavors to all come together.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees Drop cookie dough in large (approximately 1/4 cuscoopfuls, onto a non-stick cookie sheet, or cookie sheet covered with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper, leaving at least 3" between cookies. Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes, or until edges are just lightly starting to brown. Centers will still seem somewhat underdone. Let cool on baking sheet for at least 15 minutes, as the cookies will finish baking from heat on baking sheet.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then store in an airtight container.
- Makes approximately 18 extra large cookies or 36 standard size cookies.
Check out all of the cookie recipes on this site!