Creamy pasta paired with juicy chicken that packs just the right Cajun kick, this delicious recipe will remind you of the Chilis Cajun Chicken Pasta! Full of flavor, but simple to make at home, your family will cheer when this dish is on the table.
Chilis Cajun Chicken Pasta
My kids have never been adventurous eaters. They always eat the same things and they almost always eat them plain. Imagine my surprise when my oldest daughter decided to order the Cajun Chicken Pasta at Chili’s one night. She loved it and was pretty insistent that I make it at home. Who am I to deny her leap away from macaroni and cheese?
This cajun chicken pasta recipe is pretty amazing.
The ingredients are simple and straight forward and it’s easy enough that you can easily whip this up on a weeknight. While it packs big flavor, this is not a hard dish to make at home.
While it’s not exactly what one would call a “light” recipe (hello cheese and half and half!) it’s a delicious splurge for sure. I could eat it with a spoon. A large wooden spoon. 🙂
If your family loves Alfredo sauce, or craves Cajun Chicken Pasta at Chili’s, then you are going to love this!
Other Delicious Pasta Recipes
We love an easy, and often cheesy, pasta recipe in this house! Here are some of my other favorite pasta recipes for you to try as well.
Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe
CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA RECIPE
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 8 oz penne or similar pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 oz cream cheese the brick style, not the tub style
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese not the powder type!
- Salt pepper and additional Cajun seasoning to taste
- In a gallon zipper style bag, combine the chicken, ONE tablespoon of the olive oil and Cajun seasoning. Shake or knead the bag to evenly coat the chicken.
- In a large fry, grill or saute pan, heat remaining one tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Once heated, place chicken breasts in pan, and cover. Flip chicken breasts after approximately seven minutes, cooking for a total of seven minutes on EACH side. * Note that different sizes of chicken breasts may require more or less cooking time.
- Start pasta and cook according to package directions.
- In a heavy, medium sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring until well combined and mixed in with the butter. Add the cream cheese and garlic. It will get a little lumpy, but whisk until all ingredients are incorporated. Add in 1/4 of the half and half and whisk until very well combined. Add in Parmesan cheese and stir well. Slowly whisk in remaining half and half, and bring to a gentle boil, whisking almost continuously. It will need to hit the boiling point before it starts to thicken up. If desired, add salt, pepper and additional Cajun seasoning.
- Pour sauce over drained pasta and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately. Chicken can be sliced and added to the pasta or placed on top of the pasta. Garnish with tomatoes and/or green onions if desired.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
If you want to shake up the flavor, you can also make this with Fajita Seasoning. Rachel Cooks has a great homemade fajita seasoning recipe you can use.