Rich and fudgey, Flourless Chocolate Cookies are a must-try dessert! Made with five simple and common ingredients, they take just minutes to make. As a bonus, these brownie flavored chocolate cookies just happen to be naturally gluten free and dairy free!
I think of the richest, chocolatiest desserts, my mind usually leaps to something made with lot of butter, sugar and flour. I love baking with butter as much as the next dessert lover, but these Flourless Chocolate Cookies prove you don’t need it to create something delicious. My friends and family who’ve tried these cookies all rave about them, and for good reason!
These chocolate cookies bring together the best parts of brownies, fudge and cookies in one gluten free, dairy free and nut free treat! But don’t worry, these cookies aren’t made with special ingredients such a gluten free flour or any sort of butter replacement.
Nothing like that here. These cookies simply don’t need the butter or flour. I’m not sure how, because these cookies 100% hold their own with any of my butter and flour filled favorites!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies
I’m always on the hunt for good gluten free desserts. With so many people in my life who have gluten intolerance or allergies, I’m determined that they don’t have to skip out on tasty treats!
There are tons of great gluten free flour mixes out there I use from time to time, like in these Gluten Free Brownie Bites. I created these Gluten Free Chocolate Muffins when we had my daughter on a gluten free diet and they were a huge hit as well!
Sometimes, though, it’s nice to find a recipe that doesn’t require you to track down wheat flour substitutes. That’s where Flourless Chocolate Cookies come in. Made without any flour at all, I could hardly believe how well these cookies turned out the first time I made them.
Flourless Cookie Recipe
You know those days when only the chocolatey-est chocolate will do? Those days when you need something sweet and full of rich cocoa flavor and won’t hear another word about it? That’s the mood I was in when I decided to try these cookies.
This recipe doesn’t call for any butter or oil so I was initially skeptical, prepared for it to lack moisture or flavor. My skepticism disappeared the minute I bit into one of these flourless chocolate cookies.
These chocolate cookies have a crisp exterior and delightfully fudgey inside. Eating them reminded me of the edge pieces of a pan of brownies, in the best possible way. Best of all, each bite delivered that pure rich chocolate taste I was looking for!
Everyone who likes chocolate will love these cookies, not just your gluten free or dairy free friends. This was recipe was designed to not need any flour all so it doesn’t taste like anything is missing. With such a simple list of ingredients, I’m keeping this recipe in mind for anytime an unexpected chocolate craving strikes.
Flourless Chocolate Cookies are gluten free, oil free, nut free, dairy free and 100% delicious!
- The egg whites do not need to be beaten individually, just add them and mix together.
- The egg whites in the dough give the cookies an appealing shiny “glaze” when baked. For an even shinier cookie, let the dough rest for 20 minutes before baking.
- Transfer the cookies still on the parchment paper to continue cooling on a wire rack. Don’t try to take the cookies off the parchment while still warm–they’ll stick!
- I used semi-sweet chocolate chips when I made these cookies this time. Milk or dark chocolate chips would also be a great option.
All you need for the perfect dessert or after school snack is a plate of Flourless Chocolate Cookies with an ice cold glass of milk! (I also love them with a hot cup of coffee for the grown-ups.)
Flourless Chocolate Cookies
A naturally gluten free cookie, these chocolate treats are made without any flour or butter. Everyone in my family found Flourless Chocolate Cookies completely irresistible!
Flourless Chocolate Cookies
- cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 egg whites cold
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla optional
- Preheat oven to 350° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats, and very lightly grease with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir in egg whites (they do not need to be beaten or mixed ahead of time) and vanilla then add chocolate chips. Mix well, but do not over mix.
- Scoop tablespoon-size mounds onto prepared baking sheets, leave at least two inches between cookies as they will spread. Bake until set, approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes then carefully transfer cookies to a cooling rack with a spatula to cool completely.