I am always looking for ways to combine healthy ingredients into something that my kids will see as nothing more than really yummy snacks. We are on the run to and from activities so often, that grab and go things are so helpful to have on hand. “Healthy” cookies really fit the bill.
These Lowfat Pumpkin Spice Cookies are packed full of whole grains with oatmeal and white whole wheat flour, contain pumpkin and applesauce and contain no (zip, zilch, nada) oil or butter. Perfect for starting the day, packing into lunchboxes or as an after school snack.
Now, let’s be honest here – a cookie with no butter or oil is never going to taste as decadent as a cookie with a cup full of butter. If I figure out how to make that happen, I’ll let you know. 🙂 To me these are are sort of a cookie / granola bar / muffin type of hybrid. They are delicious, but let’s keep expectations real, they aren’t going to be the same as that bakery cookie that leaves that giant butter stain on your napkin. But these are cookies you can eat for breakfast. And to me, cookies for breakfast = winning.
You can whip these up in no time. You want to store them loosely covered – if tightly covered they can get a little soggy – they’ll still taste great, but are a bit more messy.
- 1 cup pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white wheat flour you could use all purpose if desired
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon feel free to use more if desired
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Optional mix ins such as pecans walnuts, raisins or chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl combine pumpkin, applesauce, eggs, vanilla and sugars until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, spices and any mix ins. Combine wet and dry ingredients until mixed.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets about 2" apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. It's best to remove them from the cookie sheet quickly after baking to prevent them from sticking to the sheet.
Want some more cookies with a healthier twist? Check out these delicious recipes…