I have one heck of a great way to start your day. Chocolate Pumpkin Bread. Did you hear that??? Bread that is chocolate!!!
While this feels a little like getting to have cake for breakfast (at least according to my daughter), this bread is made with pumpkin, whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt, making it a perfectly acceptable way to start your day. I adapted this recipe from Heather Cristo’s Chocolate Pumpkin Bread With Cinnamon Glaze.
Heather’s recipe is a bit more decadent, especially with a delicious glaze on top. Heather’s version looks ridiculously good, and I wanted to make a bit more healthy weekday breakfast version for my girls. I make almost all of my muffins and breads with white whole wheat flour, letting me pack in some whole grains. The texture is not quite the same as all purpose flour. All purpose flour will give you a bit more of a rich and decadent bread, with the white whole wheat giving you a bit more of a hearty bread. Either way is delicious, go with whatever works for you.
While the pumpkin helps add moisture, the flavor is very mild. If you didn’t know that the pumpkin was there, you might not even realize it. Now if you love the taste of pumpkin, then simply pump up the spices in this bread and the flavor will shine through.
I love dark chocolate cocoa powder. You could absolutely use regular cocoa powder though. I’m just a fan of all things dark chocolate.
My girls both inhaled this bread, and my oldest kept saying how great it was because it was like eating cake for breakfast. I have to say, I totally agree with her. You can even spread some peanut butter on for some added protein to start the day.
I have a feeling this recipe might become a new staple around here. Adding chocolate chips would make this even more over the top, and some nuts mixed in (I’m thinking walnuts) would be incredible.
Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree canned pumpkin
- 1 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate chips or nuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine butter and yogurt with electric mixer until completely combined. Mix in sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs and mix until well combined. Add vanilla and pumpkin and mix until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine white whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Slowly mix into the wet ingredients. Add in buttermilk, and mix just until combined. If adding chocolate chips or nuts, fold in.
- Pour into a greased standard size loaf pan.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Remove from pan and enjoy.
Adapted from Heather Cristo's Chocolate Pumpkin Bread.
Looking for more ways to start your day with chocolate (made acceptable with things like bananas, pumpkin, Greek yogurt and whole grains)? I’ve got some delicious options for you…