Any time I can bring the flavors of a cookie, to a muffin, I pretty much consider that winning. Especially if I can do it with whole wheat and a little kick of protein from Greek yogurt. These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Muffins are basically awesome. And who doesn’t want awesome for breakfast???
After recently discovering The Sneaky Chef’s No-Nut Butter, my daughter has been asking me to create a variety of muffins using it (muffins are her breakfast staple). While I used the No-Nut Butter, if peanut butter doesn’t scream Epi-pens and Benadryl in your home, then by all means, go with good old peanut butter.
I based these off of one of my all time favorite muffin recipes, my Oatmeal Scotchie Muffins recipe. It has so much great oatmeal cookie flavor. I could seriously eat these every morning. And night. And all the live long day in between.
Obviously using peanut butter and chocolate chips totally changes the flavor, but the result is still amazingly delicious. You have to love a muffin that in the batter stages looks just like cookie dough. I mean seriously, they look like cookies in the making!
I made 12 very full standard size muffins with this recipe. You could easily stretch this to 18 more modest sized muffins. I’m a big fan of making large muffin recipes and stocking the freezer.
My daughter declared these are the best muffins I’ve made yet. Granted, I think she says that with every recipe. Though she is the first to point out when something is not to her liking, so she’s not one to sugar coat anything, even muffins.
These muffins do include bananas, but the flavor doesn’t really come through. Bananas, much like pumpkin, applesauce and Greek yogurt, are some of my favorite ways to add moisture to muffins without adding too much butter or oil. If you don’t have any bananas on hand, you could probably just add an extra 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt in their place.
I really need an endless supply of No-Nut Butter. After going for years with very little peanut butter in my baking, it’s the greatest thing ever to be able to work it back in, well, minus the actual nut part. So here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Muffins
- 1 1/2 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour all purpose would work as well
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 medium size ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup peanut butter or No-Nut Butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cup chocolate chips you can use more or less if you like, or even try peanut butter chips!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar and set aside.
- In a food processor (or blender or mixer) combine yogurt, bananas, melted butter, peanut butter, milk, egg and vanilla until very well blended. Mixture will be fairly thick.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, as well as chocolate chips, and stir until well combined but do not over mix.
- Scoop into a greased muffin tin.
- Bake for approx 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and/or top of muffin springs back when lightly touched. Enjoy! These freeze well and make for a great breakfast or quick snack.
Looking for more delicious muffin recipes? I’ve got you covered!