Delicious Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes With Cinnamon Sugar Frosting – a delicious Fall dessert!
It’s on. Pumpkin baking that is. While I actually bake with pumpkin year round, I try to not go all pumpkin crazy here on the blog in say Febraury. It’s just such a great ingredient! Today I’ve got a simple spin on my favorite easy pumpkin cupcakes, these ones have a delicious cinnamon sugar cream cheese frosting. I always loved cinnamon sugar toast growing up, it was one of those things that I was all excited that I could make myself when I was young (complicated, I know!). That cinnamon sugar flavor work wonderfully paired with pumpkin and added to cream cheese frosting.
Honestly I love these easy pumpkin cupcakes so much that I could really even eat them without frosting, which says a lot given that I think cake is mainly a carrier vehicle for frosting.
That said, frosting, especially one with cream cheese, is a perfect partner for these cupcakes. I do recommend storing any sort of cream cheese frosting in the fridge. I’m a little paranoid when it comes to things like leaving anything with dairy at room temperature (okay, I may be a lot over the top paranoid, but at least I can own it). Plus, while these pumpkin cupcakes may be full of fall flavor, Phoenix is still full of summer heat, so pretty much everything is better off in the fridge right now. Heck, if I could get in, I probably would.
Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes With Cinnamon Sugar Frosting
Pumpkin Cupcakes With Cinnamon Sugar Frosting
- 1 standard size box spice cake mix I typically use Duncan Hines
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pkg. 8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups powdered sugar
- Cinnamon Sugar Mixture 2-3 TBSP
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Place 24 cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, eggs, oil, pumpkin and cinnamon. Once all ingredients are combined, mix on medium speed for two minutes.
- Fill cupcake liners with batter approximately 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes or until tops spring back lightly when touched.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack. Allow to cool completely prior to frosting.
- BEAT cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until blended. Gradually beat in sugar. Blend in salt and 2 tablespoons of a cinnamon sugar mixture. Spread or pipe onto cupcakes. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar mixture.
- STORE cupcakes in refrigerator.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Any cinnamon sugar you mix up for these will work. I do have a fun cinnamon sugar grinder that I found at Trader Joe’s that I used. I’ve even seen them for sale on Amazon (I’ve always wondered who it is that sells the Trader Joe’s goodies on Amazon). Enjoy and have a great weekend!
Originally published August, 2014
What size can of pumpkin????
Christi Johnstone says
The recipe calls for 1 cup canned pumpkin.