If you love a salty sweet Chex Mix, and like to have a little fun with your food, then let me introduce you to Unicorn Chex Mix. This delicious sweet Chex Mix recipe is easy to make and whimsically sweet. The colors can be switched up to fit any theme or holiday, and it’s a fantastic recipe to make with the kids.
Sweet Chex Mix Recipe
The folks over at Chex describe this recipe as a “magical shimmery mix that is as beautiful as it is delicious. Sweet clusters of drizzled Chex cereal are sprayed with edible glitter shimmer and mixed with sweet and salty Bugles unicorn horns and marshmallows—making for a fairy-tale snack for kids.” I think that sums it up perfectly! Thanks so my friends at Chex for sending over the ingredients to make this fun dessert so that I can share it with YOU.
Not quite a Muddy Buddy or Puppy Chow Chex Mix, I think I’d refer to this more as a (white) chocolate mix. I love that it combines sweet and creamy chocolate with the salty crunch from Chex and Bugles.
How To Make Chex Mix
This recipe is easy to make, though it does have a few steps. Each of those steps is simple, and it really is a great recipe to make with the kids. No need to turn on the oven or stove, all you’ll need is your microwave. You’ll start by melting white chocolate chips to coat your Bugles, which are then covered in sprinkles. After that you’ll cover your cereal in the white chocolate mixture, and let it dry. After that you can spray with gold food spray for some added sparkle, then finish by drizzling on different colored chocolate melts. You can find the step by step directions in the recipe card below.
The Unicorn Chex Mix ingredients are straight forward, and flexible. If needed you can skip the gold color mist food spray and/or the marshmallow pole candy. Work with what you have!
If you’d like to use the exact items I used, here are links to them…
- Pretty In Pink Sprinkles Mix
- Purple Candy Melts, Turquoise Candy Melts, Pink Candy Melts
- Gold Food Spray
- Sanding Sugars
More Recipes To Try
If you love Chex Mix like I do, then I have some more recipes for you to try.
- Sugar Cookie Chex Mix is delicious, especially if you love vanilla.
- Chocolate Chex Mix is always a hit, and you can change out the M&Ms or candies depending on the season.
- For something more savory, give Extra Bold Chex Mix a try.
- Go for the fall flavor with Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix.
Love the bright and fun unicorn colors in this recipe? I have a few more whimsy filled recipes you might enjoy.
- Unicorn Bark is super quick and easy to make, and the colors and sprinkles are so fun.
- Once you make Unicorn Bark, you are ready for a Unicorn Cake, it’s a show stopper!
- Jelly Bean Fudge is perfect for Easter, but it’s also perfectly fun all year long.
- Funfetti Cupcakes would look adorable at a birthday party beside this Chex Mix.
- For the ultimate in colorful unicorn fun, grab a copy of my book, The My Little Pony Baking Book. With over 150 five star reviews on Amazon alone, it combines colorful fun with my all time favorite recipes.
Unicorn Chex Mix
- 6 cups Corn Chex Rice Chex can also be used
- 3 cups white vanilla baking chips
- 1 1/2 cups Bugles Corn Snacks
- 1/4 cup pink, blue or purple decorating sugar sprinkles
- Gold Shimmer Mist Food Color Spray if desired
- 1/4 cup each pink, blue and purple candy melts or coating wafers approx 1 1/2oz of each color
- 3 tbsp multi-colored sprinkles
- 1 cup marshmallow pole twist candy if desired
- Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with waxed paper or a silicone mat. In a large bowl, add cereal.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave 1 cup of the baking chips uncovered on high 45 seconds, stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments, stirring after each, until chips are melted and can be stirred smooth. One at a time, dip pointed end of each Bugle corn snack into melted chips, and coat outside completely, allowing excess coating to drip off. (If necessary, reheat mixture 5 seconds at a time as needed for dipping consistency.) Sprinkle coated snacks with decorating sugar, and place on one of the pans in a single layer. Set aside.
- Add remaining 2 cups baking chips to bowl with remaining melted chips; microwave uncovered on high 45 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving in 15 second increments, stirring after each, until chips are melted and can be stirred smooth. Pour onto cereal in bowl; mix throughly to coat. Transfer mixture to one of the pans in single layer. Let stand 20 minutes. Spray top of food with gold food spray.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add pink candy melts. Microwave uncovered on Medium (50%) 30 seconds, then in 15-second increments, until melted; stir until smooth. Using a fork, drizzle melted candy onto coated cereal in pan; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sprinkles. Repeat using remaining colored candy melts and sprinkles. (Use separate microwave bowl for microwaving each color candy melt). Let stand 20 minutes or until drizzle is set. One set, carefully break into bite-size pieces.
- In a large serving bowl, mix coated cereal, corn snacks and marshmallow candy pieces. Store at room temperature in a covered container.
- Get creative with the colors you use, match your birthday party theme, holiday or favorite sports team colors.
- Use forks, metal or wooden skewers to help when coating the Bugles™ corn snacks.
Disclosure: The ingredients used in this recipe were provided free of charge by Chex. All opinions however are mine and mine alone.