Have you tried pumpkin brownies? They have the delicious flavor of pumpkin combined with chocolate in rich, chewy, fudgy chocolatey brownie form. These amazing pumpkin brownies are a fabulous fall dessert!
It’s on. Pumpkin season that is. I’m ready for it. I mean come on, pumpkin is a vegetable, so it’s practically health food! Bring on ALLLLL of the pumpkin recipes!
Okay, maybe that’s a bit of a stretch, but I won’t question it if you don’t. Pumpkin brownies anyone?
Pumpkin Brownies Recipe
This simple, from scratch pumpkin brownie recipe comes together easily. We are talking maybe five more minutes than it would take to make a box mix. So basically what I’m saying is that these pumpkin brownies are just as easy as making brownies from a box. But so much better, I can’t wait for you to try them.
In our family brownies are always a dessert favorite. This recipe is a great way to put the popular pumpkin spice spin on that favorite dessert.
One of the reasons I love brownies so much is that they are so easy to transport, and these pumpkin brownies are no exception. They are perfect when you need to bring a fall dessert or pumpkin dessert to a party or get together.
If you are more of a blondie lover than a brownie lover, I’ve got you covered. Check out my chewy pumpkin blondies. They can be made with or without a caramel center. And if straight chocolate is your thing, then go with my EASY BROWNIES.
Making Pumpkin Brownies
The ingredient for these pumpkin brownies are pretty straight forward.
While I used chocolate chips in these, you can leave them out, or swap them with walnuts or pecans.
Do make sure that you use canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mix or pumpkin pie filling. These products tend to sit right next to each other on store shelves. Just check to make sure you have the correct one.
Speaking of pumpkin pie filling in a can, just say no. Pumpkin pie is SO easy to make. If you aren’t already making pumpkin pie from scratch, my easy pumpkin pie recipe will convince you to change that.
For now let’s get back to making this recipe for pumpkin brownies!
If you love pumpkin and chocolate, make sure to also try my Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins!
Easy Pumpkin Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie mix
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips for top optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Spray bottom of lined pan with non-stick oil.
- In a heavy pot on low heat, melt butter and chocolate, stirring until smooth and melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, combine sugar and eggs and beat until very well combined. Add in flour, baking powder and salt and stir until combined, but to not overmix.
- Divide egg, sugar and flour mixture evenly into two bowls. To one bowl add melted chocolate mixture and stir until combined. In the other bowl, add pumpkin, oil and spices to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Layer pumpkin and brownie batters into the 9×9 pan, and use a knife to swirl the batters together. If adding chocolate chips to the top, sprinkle on top of the batter. Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack prior to serving.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
If you love pumpkin, you are in luck, I have lots of great pumpkin recipes for you!
Biscoff Pumpkin Bread – Seriously my favorite pumpkin bread recipe, ever!
Want more pumpkin brownies in your life? I hear ya.
My friends have some great recipes you’ll want to check out. Lindsay at Live, Love and Sugar has an incredible Pumpkin Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake that is over the top perfection. Jocelyn over at Inside Bru Crew Life has some scrumptious Brownie Swirled Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars. Are you drooling yet? Becky over at The Cookie Rookie has a Pumpkin Pie Skillet Brownie. Yes, you do need that in your life. Enjoy!
Originally published August, 2015