Easy Homemade Slushee Recipe

One my daughter’s all time favorite treats is a blue raspberry slushie (or is that slushee, I never quite know).   There is a little snow cone place near us and she’s always finding ways to convince me that we need to visit them.   They are great, I’ll give her that, but I kind of want to fall over every time I pay over $3 for what is basically a cup of ice.   And then there is the issue of the bright blue tongue and lips which make her look like she has hypothermia, and make me feel like I need to call the dentist.   I figured there had to be a better way.   And there is!

Oh yeah!  Fabulous homemade blue raspberry slushies that have been declared “the best ever” by a very honest and incredibly picky ten year old.   Woohoo!   I have to admit, these turned out all kinds of awesome and are super easy.

I work with McCormick Spice to create fun recipes using their products, and when I recently got my hands on McCormick’s Raspberry Extract, I knew I had to try and create a fun summery drink with it.  I am so thrilled with the results.

This recipe only calls for four ingredients… Water, sugar, McCormick Raspberry Extract and McCormick Food Coloring.   My daughter picked the Neon Blue food coloring, but the regular blue would work as well (and really, you could make these any color you wanted, I’m thinking pink or purple next time!).    I used my ice cream maker to make these, and let me tell you, it is ALL kinds of awesome for this.   How I haven’t tried it before is beyond me.

All of the ingredients are mixed up, then into the ice cream maker they go for 20 minutes.

And out came the perfect slushee consistency.

How cool is that???

This made four servings, about one cup a piece.   The flavor was perfect and I loved that my daughter’s mouth and teeth were not some crazy shade of blue after she enjoyed her treat.

If you don’t have an ice cream maker and have considered getting one, go for it.   They are so easy to use, and I keep finding more ways to use mine (in addition to crazy delicious homemade ice cream).    I have the Cuisinart Ice 20 1 1/2 Quart Machine and there is a newer model out for like $2 more that comes in lots of fun colors.   I have also seen it on HSN with a FlexPay option.   If you want to make one without an ice cream maker I would try replacing two of the cups of water with ice, and making it in the blender.  I haven’t tried that myself, so if anyone does, let me know how it goes.

Here’s the recipe…

Easy Homemade Blue Raspberry Slushee Recipe

Makes Four One Cup Servings

Easy Homemade Blue Raspberry Slushee Recipe

This simple and delicious slushee recipe is quick to make and very inexpensive! A perfect treat for those hot summer days. While made in a shade of blue, feel free to use your favorite color for this fun treat.

Ingredients

• 4 cups of cold water
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp McCormick Raspberry Extract
  • 4-6 drops of McCormick Neon Blue Food Coloring, or other color of your choice

Instructions

In a large bowl, combine water and sugar and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Add in McCormick Raspberry Extract and stir well. Follow with 4-6 drops of McCormick Food Coloring to achieve your desired color. Stir well. Pour into your ice cream maker (this recipe was tested in a 1 and 1/2 quart ice cream maker) and turn on and run according to ice cream maker package directions. Let run for approximately 20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. Serve immediately.

Per the instructions that came with my ice cream maker, I freeze the ice cream drum for at least 24 hours prior to use. If I have room in my freezer, I actually store the drum there (empty) when not in use to allow it to be ready to use when I want to make ice cream or slushies.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

So much fun!   I think next I’m going to try a vanilla version, which is what I typically get at the Snow Cone place we go.   Though coconut and lemon sound pretty tasty as well, or even root beer!   I’m sure we will be experimenting with this recipe quite a bit this summer.   I might even have to try making margaritas in the ice cream maker.  :)  Cheers!

Cute straws can be found at Sweets & Treats Boutique.

Disclosure: I do work with McCormick Spice and am compensated for my posts.
As always though, all opinions are mine and mine alone!

Comments

Karissa, it’s so easy! I can’t wait to try some other varieties as well. :) Enjoy your ice cream maker, I let mine sit forever and now I can’t get enough of it.

1. Shannon says

My parents were recently given a Krupps ice cream maker and it is the BOMB! We were used to the old-school ones that are as loud as a dump truck and take forever. This thing is so easy to use. We will definitely be making these slushees. What other ice cream maker recipes ya got?

I saw your pic on Instagram and could not wait for the recipe!!! I told my kids and they were all super excited. Since school let out my girls and I randomly jump up and down yelling summer summer as my son just watches us! This recipe gets a lot of jumping up and downs from us all!!!

I’m totally loving this idea using an ice cream maker! You really are the bomb. Olivia would love this. We just went a few weeks ago and got her first snow cone and she loved it. I’m definitely going to have to do this for her and even experiment with the whole ice cream stuffed cones too. I’m a newbie and this sounds so good to me! I’ve never really been a fan of them, but stuffed with ice cream – how could i resist?!?

4. Crystal says

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting an ice cream maker and you have convinced me. My daughter is always wanting Sonic slushes. These will be perfect to make at home!! I love the idea of coconut, root bear and vanilla!! Thanks for the awesome recipe!!

5. Katie says

Hi,
    Made these, super yummy but I didn’t get anywhere near enough to fill a mason jar for three people!

Katie, what size mason jars did you use? I have the half pint, 8 oz I believe. Was right about four cups into the recipe, four cups out.

6. Megan says

I have an slushie maker! What would you do different to just make slushie mix to go over the ice?? Sounds yummy!!!

Megan, hmm. I’m thinking you need to cut back on the water, just not positive how much. I’d maybe try cutting the water in half to try it. I’d leave the coloring and extract the same. Let me know if you try it, I’d love to hear your feedback on how it works as more of a snow cone topping.

7. Carole says

Lovely work! Would you be happy to link it in to the current Food on Friday which is collecting snacks and treats? This is the link . I do hope to see you there. There are already quite a lot of links for you to check out. Cheers

8. Christie says

Made these today because I love slushes on a hot day. I left out the food coloring and called it “White raspberry” slushes. I thought if 1 1/2 teaspoon of extract was good, 2 teaspoons would be better- not true. Stick with 1 1/2. Delicious and addicting!

9. Whit says

I’ve been out slaving in the hot Texas sun working on draining & cleaning our pool and remember seeing this pin & thought “just what I need to cool off”. So yummy! Made it in my blender. Very good, but will reduce to one cup of water next time.

Clever! I never knew I could use my ice cream maker to mix up slushies! My husband is going to go crazy for this. THANK YOU!! Pinning.

Your absolutely right about the $3 bucks or more….plus gas. I find I go out of my way for the kids and now grandkids. THANK with a capital T, for this one. ( I actually prefer the blue raspberry myself) but feel a little silly with a blue mouth at my age. Thank again. Can’t wait to try this!

Sonya, yes, per the instructions that came with my ice cream maker, I always freeze it for at least 24 hours prior to use. I actually store mine in the freezer most of the time.

Christina, I actually haven’t tried one in the ice cream maker, which is kind of insane! Probably because I have the big beast of a margarita maker. :)

• Lynn says

Christi, if I freeze my ice-cream maker overnight, then use it make the 4 cup slushies as per your recipe, which will be for 4 people, will I be able to continue to make more slushies, or do I have to refreeze the drum again. I actually want to make 17 slushies for a teenager’s birthday party and am not sure I’ll be able to make that many if the drum has to be returned to the freezer.

Lynn, I haven’t tried doing more than a batch, but honestly I think 17 is going to be really hard with a small ice cream maker. The drum being frozen is what does all the magic, so it’s going to quickly start loosing efficiency. I think you’d either need multiple ones (maybe see if friends/family have some you could borrow) or even look at a large old fashioned style machine. I really only use my drum to make a single batch of anything and refreeze for at least 24 hours. Not saying it won’t work, but I wouldn’t want to count on it for a party.