Holy Cannoli! This incredible Cannoli Dip Recipe is a creamy and delicious sweet treat. A beautiful cream cheese ricotta mixture, folded in chocolate chips, served with a side of waffle cones makes this decadent dip to die for.
Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe
Make In Minutes – You can whip up a batch of these creamy dip in a matter of minutes!
Easy Ingredients – Most of the ingredients in this recipe are pantry staples, but are an easy grocery trip away if not!
Super Simple – With four easy steps, and a handful of ingredients, this Cannoli Dip will be putting smiles on faces in no time.
Perfect Party Dip – Who doesn’t love a fun dip at a party? This recipe is the perfect, quick dessert for gatherings.
Time Saver – Get the same delicious results that you would a regular cannoli, but cut the time it takes to make it in half!
Love cannolis but hate the prep work that goes into it? Forget forming shells and spending a few hours piping when you can dip your wafers straight into this delightfully light and sweet dessert dip!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Let’s discuss how to make this recipe, as well as the ingredients that are needed. Please take note that below you will find discussion, expert tips, and answers to frequently asked questions about this recipe to help you recreate it in your kitchen. If you *just* want the recipe itself, scroll down. The full printable recipe itself, with exact measurements and instructions, is found at the bottom of this page.
- Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese – The star of the cannoli dip show! If your ricotta has too much liquid in it, you’ll want to drain that to the best of your ability. You can do this by wrapping the cheese in cheesecloth or some thick paper towels and squeezing the liquid out. If this still doesn’t work for you, place the cheesecloth or paper towels over a wire mesh strainer. Put the strainer in a bowl and press the ricotta cheese into this using a spatula. Cover the bowl and let the cheese sit in the fridge which will allow even more liquid to strain out.
- Flavor Extract – We like almond extract in this recipe, it really gives the dip a lovely flavor. That said, you can actually really get creative with his recipe and use lemon, vanilla, or orange extract, whichever you prefer. You could even use more than one! If you’re feeling adventurous try ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract, or 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – The mini chocolate chips give this dip texture without overpowering it by being too large. If you’re not keen on semi-sweet chocolate chips, try using milk, dark, or mint chocolate chips! Whatever you can think of.
- Optional Garnishes & Sides – Broken up waffle cones, pistachios or chocolate shavings are some really great toppings for this dip. If you’re not crazy about serving this dip with waffle cones, try using bananas, sliced apples, strawberries, pound cake, angel cake, or pizzelles to serve with this dip.
How To Make Cannoli Dip
- In a medium sized bowl, add the softened cream cheese and strained ricotta cheese and use a hand or stand mixer to blend this until completely combined
- Next pour in the confectioner’s sugar, extract, and lemon zest. Beat this until it’s fully combined.
- Once combined, fold in the mini chocolate chips. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the dip chill and the flavors combine. Once chilled, take the dip out the fridge, serve with broken up waffle cones and enjoy!
Recipe Tips and Advice
Storage – This cannoli dip recipe can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Unfortunately it does not freeze well.
Drain Well – Ricotta cheese can sometimes hold on to quite a bit of liquid, so it’s important to take the time to strain it to remove excess liquid.
Thicker Dip – If you would like a thicker dip, add a tablespoon of cornstarch along with the powdered sugar and make sure to mix well.
Mascarpone vs Ricotta – If desired you can swap mascarpone cheese for the ricotta cheese. I tested both, and do prefer it when made with the ricotta. You can also use a blend of both.
More Dip Recipes To Try
If you enjoy this delicious cannoli dip, here are some other yummy dessert dip recipes to try!
- Smores Dip – Nothing says nostalgia like melted chocolate, gooey marshmallows and graham crackers all in one.
- Pumpkin Dip – This quick and easy recipe only takes minutes to make and is perfect with everything from gingersnaps to pretzels to apple slices.
- Elf Dessert Dip – This delicious dip is full ingredients that are North Pole approved, and it’s perfect for serving while enjoying a holiday movie night.
- Vanilla Bean Dip – A quick and easy caramel sauce that is perfect for dipping apple slices!
Tried this recipe?
I love to hear from readers who make my recipes! Please leave a comment and review below. If you have photos, tag me @lovefromtheoven on Instagram and Pinterest.
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese drained
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons extract almond, orange, lemon or vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese and ricotta cheese.
- Stir in the powdered sugar, extract, and lemon zest. When this is well mixed, stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- For best flavor, wrap the bowl in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for at least a half hour to allow the flavors to combine.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.